color development in B. boehmei

Le Wasp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does anyone familiar with raising B. boehmei know when they normally get their adult coloration? I received a couple of immatures a few days ago, but they don't look very red to me. I seem to remember the B. boehmei I've had before developed brighter color much earlier. These two I have now are pretty large (about 3") to still be so tawny. They're also putting down a lot more web than I would expect.

Here are some pictures of the larger one. Think they were labeled correctly?

Last edited:

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Oops, Hate to say it but there appears to be a mixup of spp here. This looks more like Grammostola rosea. :eek:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Definitely not B. boehmei.

Is this a joke?

Edited to add:

Pics of B. boehmei with size reference:

Le Wasp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Definitely not B. boehmei.

Is this a joke?

Edited to add:

Pics of B. boehmei with size reference:

Well, they came from an otherwise trustworthy source, so I was convinced that they might be a B. boehmei that was slow to show color. Now that they're home, they look a lot like G. rosea... those striped epaulettes are pretty pronounced. Think they could at least be red phase?

Also, I'm partially red colorblind, so my apologies if these aren't very red.

Last edited:

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Definately not a B. boehmei if at 3 inches of legspan, you do not see the signature coloration.
Heres my girl at around 2.5" legspan.

Heres a measurement comparison of the same exact Tarantula.

Sorry for the disappointing news on your part.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you paid a reasonal price for what you were expecting, I would ask for a refund for a difference in values.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
hey man i have ripped off too so dont feel to bad. I was sold a "Brazilian Black &White" but know i think its a Curly Hair (dont rag on me to hard Joe). Sometimes we have to be reminded that some people cant be trusted.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I will also say it looks like a G. rosea R(ed)C(olor)F(orm). Here is a pic of ours just a molt or so behind yours for you to compare.

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep, sorry man, you've been ripped off! My boehmei showed its color really early, much the same as Talons did.

Le Wasp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ay yi yi... Mine looks just like this! Looks like I have a few more G. rosea then.

Update: the seller is a stand-up guy. He honestly thought they were B. boehmei and said he'd gladly refund them.

I will also say it looks like a G. rosea R(ed)C(olor)F(orm). Here is a pic of ours just a molt or so behind yours for you to compare.

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats pretty decent of him. Keep is posted and let us know when (and if) you get your money back!