Colombian Red-Tail Boa help

Anubis2012

Arachnopeon
I have a month old boa that was purchased on sunday. It ate last wednesday 4 days before I got it. I handled it sunday and monday. But not tuesday and today. The person said she fed it live fuzzies. I tried a thawed fuzzy and she doesnt seem interested at all. Please let me know what I should do. It lives in a 40 gal tank with 55% humidity and 90 basking and 82 regular. Please help. any advice will be great.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't get too worried. The snake just went through the stress of a move. I prefer not to handle a snake until it has settled in, and is eating.

Was the thawed fuzzy warm? Sometimes they need to be heated just slightly for a picky eater. Just put it in warm water before feeding it. For some stubborn eaters exposing the brain is the trick. Did you leave it in the tank, undisturbed, overnight?

Again, don't panic. Snakes can go without food longer than most people think. Just wait for the next normal feeding day and try again.

Weaning it onto f/t is best in the long run.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
frozen thawed is the best way to go.. thats what i feed my boa, python, and garters...anyways i had the exact problem with my hypo pastel red tail boa when i got him...i ended up buying a live one, sticking it in a bag, then smacking it off a rock, then feef it to the snake while its still kicking, then the very next one it took frozen thawed....i thaw mine in cold water, then empty, then put in warm water for a bit, then empty, then put in hottish water for a few ,then feed right after....give the prekilled a try, if it takes it, then next time try a thawed....good luck

Anubis2012

Arachnopeon
Thank you guys. So for how long should I leave it untouched until the next feeding day?

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would not mess with the snake at least until after it eats for you. Just leave it alone, and feed on the next normal feeding day.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i agree...once you get it eating good then you can start getting it used to you...holding it for a half hour or so a day letting it crawl through your hands and over your arms and legs....all my snakes nail a frozen thawed as soon as i get it in front of their face....

Anubis2012

Arachnopeon
Thank you very much I will do that for sure. Also I just bought a 100 watt infrared heat lamp for the 40 gal tank. How do I get the heat up a lil more. I got the space heater next to it and its about 87 degrees. Also, how do I maintain humidity. I spray every other day and have aluminum foil over part of the top in order to keep in humidity. Is there any way I can reduce the amount of aluminum foil to allow more airflow and keep up the humidity around 55-60% and have the temp be good?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ok first off, get rid of the heater and lamp..those will just burn up all the humidity....get a peice of flexwatt, or a under the tank heater from a pet store, thats the right size of your tank...then you will want a rehostat or thermostat to plug into the heater, so you can set it to the right temp...about 91 or so on the top of the substrate or carpet you have him on...the undertank heater should take up about a 1/3 of the tank....you will want two water bowls, one large one to sit on top of the heater in the corner, then one in the oposite corner on cold side.....make sure he has a hide on the heater and on cold side too...then take a peice of thin plexi glass and cut it to fit in the top of the tank just below the screen, or on top the screen lid, or you can use aluminum foil or something to block off most ventilation....but leave about 2 or 3 inches of the screen open so it does have some venting.....i have mine set up like this and my temp is about 91-93 and humidity about 60%....he sheds good and is healthy....and growing fast....another thing you might want to look into getting, which i am too, is a boaphile....they are specifically made for snakes....you can also have the under heating flexwatt installed before it ships......look at theboaphile.com and also become a member of redtailboas.com you will find all kinds of help there too...people that have massive knowledge and collections of snakes.....good luck

Thank you very much I will do that for sure. Also I just bought a 100 watt infrared heat lamp for the 40 gal tank. How do I get the heat up a lil more. I got the space heater next to it and its about 87 degrees. Also, how do I maintain humidity. I spray every other day and have aluminum foil over part of the top in order to keep in humidity. Is there any way I can reduce the amount of aluminum foil to allow more airflow and keep up the humidity around 55-60% and have the temp be good?