Colombian centipedes

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
View attachment 20210721_115253.mp4
I'm currently traveling around Colombia and visited los llanos (tropical grasslands) in Eastern Colombia. The area includes rivers with large areas of tall grasses spattered with chunks of forest.
View attachment 20210721_115253.mp4
July is very rainy and large areas flood. I found a small dead standing tree and peeled the dead bark off. I was surprised to find 10 large 4 - 8 inch scolopendra under the bark. I had never found a group of large centipedes together. Usually they are alone. They apparently gather here during the rainy season to avoid the rising waters. Most immediately fell to the ground and scurried away but I did film a couple.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Very awesome to see some congregating together! Beautiful centipedes! Thanks for sharing!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
A centipede breeder who is a friend of mine confirmed they look like S. angulata. Very cool find!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Can happen in Australia too, also as a result of flooding. There's two species here: Ethmostigmus rubripes and Scolopendra morsitans.
Not my photo.
12371962006248978082.JPG

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
How are the crickets, snake, and centipede not fighting. Is it an agreement not to fight so they all survive? Haha. Love centipedes but I can only find stone centipedes. I want to go to Colombia, Nicaragua, and south east Asia and find the inverts in their natural habitat. Soon.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
How are the crickets, snake, and centipede not fighting. Is it an agreement not to fight so they all survive? Haha. Love centipedes but I can only find stone centipedes. I want to go to Colombia, Nicaragua, and south east Asia and find the inverts in their natural habitat. Soon.
Stressed out, I presume. Pedes often seem to not care about hunting when in a stressful situation.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Yeah. I get confused when I see a predator next to an easy pray item but that makes sense.