Colombia - Rainforest - Leticia

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
A couple of clips from the rainforest around Leticia, Colombia. We cooked and ate a few grubs we purchased in the market. I found a lot of tarantulas in close proximity while hiking in the forest outside of Leticia. The tarantulas were about 6 in in leg span. There were avicularia nests high up you could see during the day, but nothing I could reach. We had fun feeding the wild spider monkeys bananas.

Attachments

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer

Attachments

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Leticia in our summer is their dry season. We had fun hanging out at the market in the morning and watching them bring in the fish they caught during the night. The main diet here is fish. I got a bad case of chiggers while hiking in the rainforest. I had knee high rubber boots and they still got my ankles. The itching lasted 2 days. I included a shot of the route we took up and down the rivers. We entered Peru, Brazil and Colombia in a couple of days. I have to admit, it was too much time on the rivers compared to time in the forest, but it was an amazing experience.

Attachments

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I use a variety of camera choices, mostly because I can't charge my batteries often enough. I used 2 Samsung phones and an old Canon camera,.

Attachments

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The tarantulas around Leticia were extremely common where I hiked. Sometimes I found up to 4 nests in a square meter. The largest females were about 6 inches. There were adult males wandering looking for females, and they had about 4 inch leg spans. They were much more aggressive than the highland species I had found earlier and they came out of their nests repeatedly chasing grass. We stopped at a houseboat to use the bathroom while on the Amazon River. It flushed into the river.

Attachments

Oblivia

Arachnopeon
Very cool! Thanks for sharing! My dad is Colombian and it's been his dream to take me to this exact location since I've always been an invert and herp fan. He would tell me tales of just how rich it is in all the creepy critters that I love. He thinks its funny that I'm so fascinated in such "common" things. He did take me to Los Llanos in Colombia when I was 15, and I saw lots of cool moths, beetles, and geckos! This was way before cell phones and I did not own a camera or anything like that. So all I have is the memories.

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Do you have any information about picture 21?
Hello,
Not really. The picture was taken north of Leticia, Colombia in the month of August. It was the dry season. It had about 2 1/2 inch leg span. It didn't appear to be aggressive when I moved the leaf litter near it with my snake hook.