College?

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Short answer: Don't.

Now here's the reasons. Most colleges have very strict pet rules. Basically you may be allowed to keep a fish and that's it unless you have a guide dog. If you are found in violation of this it can result in serious consequences including immediate expulsion from the dorms so unless you have immediate family in the vicinity or some really nice friends who wouldn't mind another roommate being sprung on them for the foreseeable future you would be SOL. Granted, that's an extreme case but when you combine people's phobias and general misunderstanding of tarantulas it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

It also doesn't matter if you don't tell anybody that you don't have it. If a fire alarm goes off (trust me - it will happen because some people don't know how to microwave popcorn or some other idiot reason) every room must be searched to make sure that everybody got out and they'll find it. You also have to remember that people are vindictive creatures. You'll get a significant other, you'll tell them about it, break up, and (you guessed it) bye bye tarantulas.

This is silly. Its a firealarm not a drug bust. They aren't going to search anything. You really believe their gonna open your underwear drawer to make sure theres nobody in there? Not.

And like I mentioned earlier, its EASY to hide things if you do it right, the evidence is in the thread - Amelia.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Btw Amelia, we're from the same area! :) I assume you're going to the reptile expo on the 30th? :}

I had to think of some clever hiding spots for my Ts when I left the dorm last fall break. The break was just a couple days long, and we were required to leave campus, so I was too lazy to pack up my Ts and bring them home with me. I hid the first one (a sling) behind my picture frames, carefully ensuring that you couldn't see it from any angle, and the second (a juvie in a plastic cereal container) in a cabinet cleverly concealed behind some pillows and blankets. I brought my bearded dragon home, but I left his 40-gallon in there, hiding the tank decor in a tupperware box and filling the cage with random boxes and blankets and stuff so that it would just look like a clear storage container. I left my gecko in one of the closets hidden by a couple dresses, some shoeboxes, and textbooks. Although those hiding spots probably don't seem too great, I didn't get caught, hehehe. {D