Collective Nouns for Tarantulas

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
For those who don't know what a collective noun is:
It's a single noun used to represent a group of similar objects. Think a 'pride' of lions... you can just say 'the pride'
Or a gaggle of geese
Or an audit of accountants
Or a belt of asteroids
etc

So... what's the collective noun for a group of tarantulas?

In the absence of any I could find, I thought I'd suggest some, to launch the topic.

I propose a 'sac' or 'clutch' of spider eggs (because they're eggs in a sac)

A tickle of spiderlings (they're always 'all legs and hair' when I look at them close)

and a pause of tarantulas (given their habit of doing nothing for endless periods of time)

That being said and done, I think we can find some more interesting ones.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well since they live a solitary life in the wild, I don't think there is one for adults, only the "clutch" or "sac" of slings like you mentioned.

How about a "web" of tarantulas?

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well since they live a solitary life in the wild, I don't think there is one for adults, only the "clutch" or "sac" of slings like you mentioned.

How about a "web" of tarantulas?
Or, given the structure of the webbing:
a 'tangle' of tarantulas?

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
a fangle of tarantulas
Sure. I think there should be a reason for the noun, though... why do you think a fangle? Is that a contraction of a fang, and a tangle?

Loaf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sure. I think there should be a reason for the noun, though... why do you think a fangle? Is that a contraction of a fang, and a tangle?

Exactly!!! But i like your suggestions better.

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If its a group of B. albopilosum it wouldn't be a stretch to call it a flock.

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
How about a group of tarantulas. :rolleyes:
hahaha....

It makes sence for geese, lions, etc. to have words of their own because they are social.... Don't need a word for t's....

That said... I like tangle....

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, I think that since we're keeping them in rooms together, they probably need a word.

Mind you, we've been using a 'collection' for those in bins stacked on top of each other...

And 'group' is a non-specific collective noun for everything. Surely we can be more adventurous than that.

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thread of tarantulas

I like "a thread of tarantulas"....thread because of the silky threads they web up...and also because when u start a thread on this site, it leads to others....lol

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A bunch of tarantulas in the wild in a relatively concentrated area is generally called a colony.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
True, I've heard of a colony. But again, I thought we could be more adventurous...

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
I know for spiders, it is a clutter of spiders. (also accepable is cluster). So a tangle would work since it is in the same vein as clutter.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
I just thought of one a "dance of tarantulas", a play on the origin of name tarantula.

stk5m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Or maybe Tarantuli kinka like ouctopi (sp?) sounds a little funny though....