Collection container sizes???

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This may sound silly as much as I've collected scorpions. However, due to the circumstances I will be enduring coming up, I am hoping to get some advice.

I need to get the smallest possible collecting containers for a number of different species. I think I have some good ones for the average sized scorpions, of between 2 and 3 inches.

But I need to get some for the smaller species that are around 1" total length, and the largest U.S. species, of up to 5.5" in total length.

I think I have the 1" figured out, but will post some ideas later to see if it makes sense to everyone else here.

For H. arizonensis arizonensis, H.a. pallidus, H. spadix, and H. obscurus, I am kind of at a loss. Right now I am thinking 6"x2". Does this sound right?

My goal is to fill as little space as possible in my backpack, and keep the scorpions as snug as possible, as I will be hiking etc. So the smallest feasible size is the best one as far as I am concerned.

My method for capture generally involves placing the container in front of the scorpion and gently tapping the back of it's metasoma. They will generally walk right in. There will be times where I might have to tong though too.

Thanks for your help. :clap:

Oh, and one more thing:
I don't care if they sometimes pop right out. I will get them back in, no problem. My main concern is less space. It doesn't mater if I have to spend a little extra time getting them to stay in there!

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Check into 40 dram vials from Thornton plastics. I use them all the time when I go collecting and I love 'em. Depending on how many you need, I may be able to help you get some. But they're good sized and keep the medium species and may even hold the larger Hadrurus species with some coaxing.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've actually found very very cheap "vials" in the form of used plastic coin tubes. I buy them from my local coin dealer and some are used in my coin collecting while others in my invert collecting. They have screw on tops, are round inside ranging from as small as a dime to as large as 41mm for silver dollars. They might be slightly short for H. arizonensis but would work great for everything else and takes up very little room like the more expensive "vials". Look on ebay for plastic coin tubes and you'll see what I mean. Good luck, catch me some C. vitts! :)

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can also use different sized zip loc baggies (remember to add a little substrate to the baggies), but those might not be handy for very long trips and use.......

cheers, Michiel

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can also use different sized zip loc baggies (remember to add a little substrate to the baggies), but those might not be handy for very long trips and use.......

cheers, Michiel
What?!?!?! I can use zip locks?!?!?!

"might not be handy" <~~~ ha ha ha

You do realize I have to carry everything on my back right? I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out how I can carry a relatively small number of collecting containers! So far, they look like they are going to take up half my backpack!!

If I can use zip locks, I can carry all of the baggies in ONE peanut butter jar!
This is a life saver! Almost literally! Right now I'm taking clothes that I need to stay warm out of my bag to try to fit more containers! Now I can stay warm and carry my stuff! This is genius!

It's going to take a while to cut holes in the bags, but it will be more than worth it.. Oh my.

Thank you so much Michiel!! This is going to make it possible to collect for a while.

I've actually been trying to collect containers, and was about to spend $100 on more of them. I was going to have paige keep the extras, then mail them to me along the way. But that is difficult to time right when you are hitch-hiking, and I can't sit around waiting for mail in little desert outposts!

Wahoo! :worship:

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The only problem with ziploc bags would be the potential of the species killing each other through the bags. You should look for bags with a thicker mil to avoid stings through the bag to yourself or other scorpions. Otherwise it should work, just be careful you don't let them overheat because the bags like vials will turn into mini greenhouses.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If you decide to use the baggies, just stack a few on top of each other and poke holes through all of them at once. Just a suggestion!

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The only problem with ziploc bags would be the potential of the species killing each other through the bags. You should look for bags with a thicker mil to avoid stings through the bag to yourself or other scorpions. Otherwise it should work, just be careful you don't let them overheat because the bags like vials will turn into mini greenhouses.
Thank you for your earlier suggestion, I appreciate it very much. I think the ziploc are the way to go though, at least in this situation. I don't think most U.S. species would kill each other with stinging. I could be wrong though. I believe that the chela would be more useful for that. I will be careful though. Plus I will be checking on them every day. So if anything starts going wrong, I will notice it and adjust accordingly. And they will all be kept in the shade when the sun is up. Of course sometimes my backpack will be in the sun while hitching etc, but I will keep them as cool as possible, that shouldn't be a problem!

If you decide to use the baggies, just stack a few on top of each other and poke holes through all of them at once. Just a suggestion!
Thank you as well for your earlier suggestion! Your method does make sense, and I plan on doing that. I'm about to try some out, so I will let you know how it goes. My main concern in making holes, is that they are not large enough for them to pry them open. Plastic baggies are pretty strong, until they get a rip, then they will open up like saran wrap. So I want them to be as small as possible. I think I'm going to use a sewing pin.... How many holes do you think I should put per square inch? I'm thinking at least 9 if not 16 or more, they will be very small... :confused:

redhourglass

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello folks !

The bags mentioned work great but should be used for the short term. Cannibalism will occur if field collected scorpions are left in there to long and as usual when collecting at night there will be mistaken ids.

Regards,
Chad Lee
-see more on facebook

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hello folks !

The bags mentioned work great but should be used for the short term. Cannibalism will occur if field collected scorpions are left in there to long and as usual when collecting at night there will be mistaken ids.

Regards,
Chad Lee
-see more on facebook
Thanks Chad!

When you say short term, what do you mean? A night or a few days (shipping)?

As for cannibalism, I am planning on having each in a separate bag. I have already have many sizes ranging from 1"x2" (V. waueri, V. coahuilae), to 6"x3" for (Hadrurus sp., D. whitei)

I am planning on packing single bag scorpions in a larger container like peanut butter jars with holes drilled. Do you think I would still experience cannibalism like this? Or is that in reference to multiple specimens per bag?

Thanks again Chad! ~R

redhourglass

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks Chad!

When you say short term, what do you mean? A night or a few days (shipping)?

As for cannibalism, I am planning on having each in a separate bag. I have already have many sizes ranging from 1"x2" (V. waueri, V. coahuilae), to 6"x3" for (Hadrurus sp., D. whitei)

I am planning on packing single bag scorpions in a larger container like peanut butter jars with holes drilled. Do you think I would still experience cannibalism like this? Or is that in reference to multiple specimens per bag?

Thanks again Chad! ~R
Hello Ryan,

Yes: Overnight to be safe (field collected, not shipping) to seperate.
Yes: In reference to multiple specimens per bag

Note: Not sure of your plans with field trips but may this help and be safe.

Chad

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Go to a restaurant like El Pollo Loco and grab some of the cups/containers they have there for condiments. Free and local.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What?!?!?! I can use zip locks?!?!?!

"might not be handy" <~~~ ha ha ha

You do realize I have to carry everything on my back right? I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out how I can carry a relatively small number of collecting containers! So far, they look like they are going to take up half my backpack!!

If I can use zip locks, I can carry all of the baggies in ONE peanut butter jar!
This is a life saver! Almost literally! Right now I'm taking clothes that I need to stay warm out of my bag to try to fit more containers! Now I can stay warm and carry my stuff! This is genius!

It's going to take a while to cut holes in the bags, but it will be more than worth it.. Oh my.

Thank you so much Michiel!! This is going to make it possible to collect for a while.

I've actually been trying to collect containers, and was about to spend $100 on more of them. I was going to have paige keep the extras, then mail them to me along the way. But that is difficult to time right when you are hitch-hiking, and I can't sit around waiting for mail in little desert outposts!

Wahoo! :worship:

suggestion... Use the "Target" branded generic ziplock bags. they are much heavier mil spec than the ziplock name branded ones.

:)

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hello Ryan,

Yes: Overnight to be safe (field collected, not shipping) to seperate.
Yes: In reference to multiple specimens per bag

Note: Not sure of your plans with field trips but may this help and be safe.

Chad
Thank you Chad. Guess I am back to carrying hard containers. I'll have to figure that out...

I use Souffle cups Kevin
Thanks for the suggestion kevin. I have a case of those already from when I was able to breed a lot. They really aren't good for backpacking though. First, they are easily crushed, secondly their shape is not optimal and would waste space in my backpack, and last but not least they pop open too easily, especially in a backpack, unless taped tight, and that would be a mess. I think I am back to pill containers, vials, and tupperware. Thank you for the suggestion though!

Go to a restaurant like El Pollo Loco and grab some of the cups/containers they have there for condiments. Free and local.
Thanks HL! I appreciate the effort. See comment directly above. :)

suggestion... Use the "Target" branded generic ziplock bags. they are much heavier mil spec than the ziplock name branded ones. :)
Thanks CAK, but I think I'm back to hard containers. Now I just have to figure out how to carry them. :wall: :D

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't know what kind of bag you are using, but my bf RAVES about alice and mollie packs. Apparently they can pack a ton.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Don't know what kind of bag you are using, but my bf RAVES about alice and mollie packs. Apparently they can pack a ton.
I have an osprey aether 60 liter, or 3700 cubic inches. That compares to over 8000 ci in the Alice packs. But from what I have read, my pack can carry more weight without things breaking, and is much more comfortable. Anyway, I can't afford to buy another pack right now. New containers are going to about break me! :eek:

I will figure something out. I'm just going to have to carry less containers. Maybe I can find someone that will let paige mail the collection containers to them? In fact, I'm think I know someone in Austin who would do that for me.

Really though, I don't have that much room in my pack. I'm going to have to mail stuff to Paige, then take on the containers when It warms up. I will provide my current packing list next message.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
current packing list.

Osprey Aether 60:
3 gallons of water minimum before hiking into wild.
Cell phone and charger
Ipod and charger
Scorpions Of The World by Ronald Stockman and Eric Ythier (almost 2 lb)
Small map of U.S.
Digital Camera
Black light (a49)
Short Wave UV light and spare bulb
Head lamp
About 40 AA batteries
16 AAA batteries
Wearing Running Shoes, packing Chaco Sandals
Wearing one pair of bdu's, packing one pair running shorts
One sarong (for wearing when hot, and as a layout when selling rocks)
Fleece thermal underwear top and bottom, fleece vest
One soft shell jacket and one Poncho
Wear one underwear and pack 2 more
Wear one pair sock and pack 2 more
2 tee-shirts, one tank top.
Toiletries and waterproof bag for laundry by hand
One 30* synthetic mummy sleeping bag
One Zrest sleeping pad
One Hammock with rope
One camo ultralite tarp with 6 stakes and rope
One emergency bivy bag for sub 30* temps
One sleeping bag liner for above 70* temps
One bag for collecting/carrying groceries/or Go Bag
One battery charger for recyclable AA batteries with AC and DC plug
One 3lb sledge hammer
One Rock chisel
One small pry bar and screw driver
One trench shovel
One construction hat for cave mining rocks
One compass
One pack commit lozenge for long no smoking rides. Packs of rolling tobaco
Three extra lighters
1 Jumbo Sharpee, roll of tape
1 battery charge tester
One notebook for location data, and small sharpee for tagging containers
Water purification tablets, fishing line, sewing needles and thread, duct tape,
hacky sacks, ear plugs, measuring tape,
fleece hat, neck gaitor, gloves, shell gloves, and "baseball" hat

This is all I can think of right now. But as you can see, this is a load already!
Now some of this stuff will be gone by the time the scorpions start coming back out. I will mail the neck gaitor, shell gloves, emergency bag, liner bag to Paige. And the batteries will mostly be used, leaving me with maybe 8 triple A's and my 12 AA's, but that is still a lot of stuff and weight! :eek:

It will be well over half my weight starting off. My back already hurts just thinking about it!

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think I am back to pill containers, vials, and tupperware. Thank you for the suggestion though!
Again I must refer back to the plastic coin tubes. They are hard, clear, screw on tops on most kind, and cheap if purchased used or online. The 50 tube boxes have cardboard separaters for each tube keeping them steady and upright...or sideways in a backpack without sliding around. Cardboard with holes cut in it would do the same thing though. A small drill or soldering iron would be fine for the holes and you can keep moist papertowels in the bag/box to keep them from drying out on you.

How will you send to your distributor? You are going into Mexico right? Or are you planning this venture for afterwards? I feel like importation or traveling across the border with scorpions may be somewhat difficult.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Again I must refer back to the plastic coin tubes.

How will you send to your distributor? You are going into Mexico right? Or are you planning this venture for afterwards? I feel like importation or traveling across the border with scorpions may be somewhat difficult.
Hey Vfox, I appreciate the idea, and they are cheap. Unfortunately, the plastic used in them is extremely toxic to life forms. They off gas hormone mimickers and benzenes (? something like that ?), when hot. Seeing as I will be in 100*+ temperatures, I will not use those plastics for collecting. Otherwise I would have already ordered them!

I am going to collect scorpions in the U.S. I am still planning on going to Mexico, but only to take pictures! I don't know which will come first. It depends on how things go until it warms up. But I will not be collecting scorpions in MX, unfortunately their laws are very strict, and I don't want to go to prison. But I hope to get some cool pictures!