Collection Cabinet

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
The time has come to build my collection cabinet, I have a lot of ideas in my head, but haven't got them finalized yet. However, I need to get moving on it as I am gunning to get my collection growing fairly rapidly. Just last week I saw a few entire collections go up for sale and I would have jumped on it if I had the cabinet done.
My reasoning for having to keep my collection is two main things: temperature and my cat. I keep my house too cold for most T's and I have a cat that gets into everything.

I found these "indoor green house" cabinets from Ikea
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10290283/

However, they don't have them at my cities store and shipping is $100, so unless I can get my local Ikea to order a few in that idea is kinda scrapped, we will see though, looks perfect !

Other option is to get a regular bookcase and modify it with some acrylic doors.

I plan to use heat tape and a thermostat to get the temp to hold around 75-77 degrees, which should be acceptable for pretty much any T. I thought about trying to control humidity, but scrapped that as I would have to get two separate cases and the humid case would have to be the Ikea one I posted due to its galvanized steel and glass construction.
However, I decided it will be easy enough to maintain micro climates in each enclosure that will be ideal for each species.

Today I am going to try to get a hold of Ikea and see if getting these in is possible, if it is YAY! if not Im buying a cheap book case and some acrylic sheeting, hinges, latches etc etc.

Ill post progress pics and details once I get the build up and going.

Tell me I am not the only T keeper not drooling over the Ikea case I posted, I mean, its perfect !

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The time has come to build my collection cabinet, I have a lot of ideas in my head, but haven't got them finalized yet. However, I need to get moving on it as I am gunning to get my collection growing fairly rapidly. Just last week I saw a few entire collections go up for sale and I would have jumped on it if I had the cabinet done.
My reasoning for having to keep my collection is two main things: temperature and my cat. I keep my house too cold for most T's and I have a cat that gets into everything.

However, they don't have them at my cities store and shipping is $100, so unless I can get my local Ikea to order a few in that idea is kinda scrapped, we will see though, looks perfect !

Other option is to get a regular bookcase and modify it with some acrylic doors.

I plan to use heat tape and a thermostat to get the temp to hold around 75-77 degrees, which should be acceptable for pretty much any T. I thought about trying to control humidity, but scrapped that as I would have to get two separate cases and the humid case would have to be the Ikea one I posted due to its galvanized steel and glass construction.
However, I decided it will be easy enough to maintain micro climates in each enclosure that will be ideal for each species.

Today I am going to try to get a hold of Ikea and see if getting these in is possible, if it is YAY! if not Im buying a cheap book case and some acrylic sheeting, hinges, latches etc etc.

Ill post progress pics and details once I get the build up and going.

Tell me I am not the only T keeper not drooling over the Ikea case I posted, I mean, its perfect !
Hadn't seen these before. I think they are cool. Aren't they just shelves w/a glass sides/front doors? In the picture I see plenty of air gaps due to the design. I think Ikea is misleading in calling it a greenhouse. I think of greenhouse being tightly sealed, keeping heat/moisture in generally. Minus ventilation fans/ducts.

Your approach w/the heat tape has been done. I THINK I told you? There was a guy on YouTube that had shelves/cabinet and he used what appears to be Flexwatt in the background for this.

The best cabinet I have seen, was a guy who had taken an old Coke can soda machine, gutted it, and turned it into a heated cabinet. It was excellent. That was years ago, I believe on this site too.

I think if you were to use this IKEA stand w/heat tape, the heat would leak out too much as it's designed.

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
Hadn't seen these before. I think they are cool. Aren't they just shelves w/a glass sides/front doors? In the picture I see plenty of air gaps due to the design. I think Ikea is misleading in calling it a greenhouse. I think of greenhouse being tightly sealed, keeping heat/moisture in generally. Minus ventilation fans/ducts.

Your approach w/the heat tape has been done. I THINK I told you? There was a guy on YouTube that had shelves/cabinet and he used what appears to be Flexwatt in the background for this.

The best cabinet I have seen, was a guy who had taken an old Coke can soda machine, gutted it, and turned it into a heated cabinet. It was excellent. That was years ago, I believe on this site too.

I think if you were to use this IKEA stand w/heat tape, the heat would leak out too much as it's designed.
From the pictures it looked like the gaps weren't super bad, but a concern, yes. However, that idea is scrapped, I called on lunch break and they won't order these to a specific store for pickup, and Im not paying $200 to get one, so yep back to the bookcase modded with locking acrylic doors. I think I have seen that guys videos one where he is handling an OBT comes to mind, but I didn't think his had doors, I think I just saw the flex watt on the back panel, which is exactly what I would be doing here. Im still rethinking the fan on a timer, mostly concerned for avics need of decent ventilation.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
From the pictures it looked like the gaps weren't super bad, but a concern, yes. However, that idea is scrapped, I called on lunch break and they won't order these to a specific store for pickup, and Im not paying $200 to get one, so yep back to the bookcase modded with locking acrylic doors. I think I have seen that guys videos one where he is handling an OBT comes to mind, but I didn't think his had doors, I think I just saw the flex watt on the back panel, which is exactly what I would be doing here. Im still rethinking the fan on a timer, mostly concerned for avics need of decent ventilation.
Not sure it's the same guy. The guy I'm referring to is British. But he doesn't show off the case per se, it's in the background but the flexwatt is there.

Dovey

Arachnobaron

Now that you've seen these awesome Ikea cabinets, nothing else will do. Oh wait, that's ME! Thanks for nothing, C-Mann! :arghh:

Dovey

Arachnobaron
And greenhouse environments aren't really designed to be airtight or terribly energy efficient. You need a healthy level of air exchange.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
And greenhouse environments aren't really designed to be airtight or terribly energy efficient. You need a healthy level of air exchange.
That's what I thought for large greenhouses, the ones you walk in. Same is true for small ones I imagine then, thanks.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Ikea makes some very nice furniture pieces. Only thing I can see wrong, IMO, is the shelves aren't adjustable. This would limit the size and amount of enclosures to be kept in it. Soon will need another cabinet to serve the same purpose. Unless you CAN refrain from increasing your collection size, few keepers have this ability. Lol!!
I'd suggest the bookshelf modification route, unless you're really handy with tools, then scratch build one. Only limitations are $$$, time and your creativity.
Whatever route you take remember, " Failure to plan and you plan to fail", or "Cover all the bases". ;)
Best of luck creating something unique.
My heated scorp&sling cabinet below.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ikea makes some very nice furniture pieces. Only thing I can see wrong, IMO, is the shelves aren't adjustable. This would limit the size and amount of enclosures to be kept in it. Soon will need another cabinet to serve the same purpose. Unless you CAN refrain from increasing your collection size, few keepers have this ability. Lol!!
I'd suggest the bookshelf modification route, unless you're really handy with tools, then scratch build one. Only limitations are $$$, time and your creativity.
Whatever route you take remember, " Failure to plan and you plan to fail", or "Cover all the bases". ;)
Best of luck creating something unique.
My heated scorp&sling cabinet below.
I keep half my collection on metro shelving like that due to it being adjustable. I find it to be the one of the best type of shelving because of that reason.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
I keep half my collection on metro shelving like that due to it being adjustable. I find it to be the one of the best type of shelving because of that reason.
Lol! All of mine are on adj. shelving.
@Ceymann, has a unique situation needing it cooler for the reef tanks, but wanting to display the inverts in the same room. Personally, I'd scratch build one to fit an area where it would stay longterm. Using MDF with adjustable shelving using the pin method. Flexwatt controlled by a line voltage thermostat and a Paragon timer to control a fan for air circulation purposes.Depending on the width, single/double doors with glass inserts and cat proof latches. But thats just me, I tend to over engineer my projects. :happy:
Btw, I would use my favorite fastening system, the Kreg tool.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Thanks for this. I looked them up, which tool were you referring to?

Do they make a joining type clamp to fasten the acrylic sides? The best I've seen from them is this https://www.kregtool.com/store/c46/corner-clamps/p49/90-degree-corner-clamp/
You can use that for acrylic enclosures, I don't have that particular clamp. For long, 24"+ pieces, I would use 2, one near each end to ensure uniformity. Expensive, IMO, 2 pcs. of wood, glued and nailed @ 90°, using clamps works just as well.
Kreg jigs were designed primarily for wood projects. A very useful item for beginners and professionals alike. The K4 and K5 kits have a DVD tutorial that makes it simple to use. I've a K4 system, pin setter jig, decking set and a couple of the specialty clamps.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You can use that for acrylic enclosures, I don't have that particular clamp. For long, 24"+ pieces, I would use 2, one near each end to ensure uniformity. Expensive, IMO, 2 pcs. of wood, glued and nailed @ 90°, using clamps works just as well.
Kreg jigs were designed primarily for wood projects. A very useful item for beginners and professionals alike. The K4 and K5 kits have a DVD tutorial that makes it simple to use. I've a K4 system, pin setter jig, decking set and a couple of the specialty clamps.
Yep I agree as well on the wood option. I could do that as well, provided I can make it square hah. I haven't had to build anything square. Check to see if something is square, sure...but not the former.