collecting scorps in western turkey

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I will be leaving for Turkey shortly, and will be spending a little over a month there. I will be spending some time on the west coast:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=cesme+turkiye&sll=39.262031,33.354492&sspn=2.913206,5.08667&ie=UTF8&ll=39.791655,26.542969&spn=11.557555,20.34668&z=6&iwloc=addr&om=1
i'm aware that this is within the range of mesobuthus gibbosus among other species, having actually caught a pair their over ten years ago.
Admittedly, it was dumb luck, as the pair was found in a shoe closet... :p
so anyways, i'm wondering if anyone has gone collecting in the area and knows what sorts of micro-environments i should be looking for? time of day? are certain species "in season" ?

thanks! :D
- munis

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
im sorry, i have no answer for your question. but i am incredibly envious of you though.

marcelo_987

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think A.crassicauda can be found in Turkey, I'm not 100% on this though.

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yeah, i'm sure they might be found in the south-east along the syrian, iraqi or iranian border... unfortunately, i will be on the west coast of turkey..

- munis

I think A.crassicauda can be found in Turkey, I'm not 100% on this though.

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
errr... so no-one has any other advice or info? :? - munis

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
get yourself a decent uv flashlight and go wandering at night.

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
get yourself a decent uv flashlight and go wandering at night.
not a good idea wondering at night at this place....I wouldn't describe at as "safe"

Munis where EXACTLY are you going?
the aegean coast is infested with M.gibbosus but if you are lucky and collect near a beach you might end up with a C.nordmani!!

Maybe in more humid areas you might also find Euscorpius spp.

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
whats dangerous, the wildlife or people? I dont mean wander alone, go with a few people

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you're heading west of Turkey. You can always ask Emre what scorps you can find. I think that's where he is from. You can find him on VenomList. Just ask for Emre :D

Emos

Arachnopeon
maybe I can help?

Hi,
Being from Turkey (Istanbul), I can maybe contribute my 2 cents.
In that area, you can find mesobuthus gibbosus, and maybe Euscorpius carpathicus. Unfortunately, it's not the area with a rich variety of specimens.
If you have time and possibility, I suggest you go to Sanliurfa (Urfa) in Southeast Turkey. You can find the widest range and hottest species there.
Have a good trip and let me know if you need any tips about this country...
Emre

I will be leaving for Turkey shortly, and will be spending a little over a month there. I will be spending some time on the west coast:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=cesme+turkiye&sll=39.262031,33.354492&sspn=2.913206,5.08667&ie=UTF8&ll=39.791655,26.542969&spn=11.557555,20.34668&z=6&iwloc=addr&om=1
i'm aware that this is within the range of mesobuthus gibbosus among other species, having actually caught a pair their over ten years ago.
Admittedly, it was dumb luck, as the pair was found in a shoe closet... :p
so anyways, i'm wondering if anyone has gone collecting in the area and knows what sorts of micro-environments i should be looking for? time of day? are certain species "in season" ?

- munis

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
mmm... unfortunately, i have family only in istanbul, ankara, and cesme...
i've in the past been as far south as antalya, and as far east as göreme, but i've never been as far south-east as urfa, or even adana for that matter..

really, the issue is, i don't think my family would take too kindly to the idea that i've flown all the way to turkey, and i'm going off scorpion hunting instead of spending time with them. thus, i think i'm restricted to the west-coast area (since i will be there anyways).

my main question really, is whether i should be searching near the beach, or further inland, and whether or not i'm more likely to find them at lower or higher elevations... and as far as environment type i'm guessing more in the "mediterraean scrub" type environment, and less in forested areas?

- munis

Hi,
Being from Turkey (Istanbul), I can maybe contribute my 2 cents.
In that area, you can find mesobuthus gibbosus, and maybe Euscorpius carpathicus. Unfortunately, it's not the area with a rich variety of specimens.
If you have time and possibility, I suggest you go to Sanliurfa (Urfa) in Southeast Turkey. You can find the widest range and hottest species there.
Have a good trip and let me know if you need any tips about this country...
Emre

Emos

Arachnopeon
Hi Munis,
I see what you mean :)
Your family lives in Turkey?
As far environment, you can see Euscorpius italicus all around Istanbul. They are not so difficult to find. As for others, they are rather elusive. Many a times I've returned from scorpion hunting expeditions empty handed. However, I know they can be found in rocky or shrubby areas mainly inland and low elevations, but I believe they can be found on the coast too. In my experience, I learned that Mesobuthus shyes away from human populations whereas Euscorpius loves to mingle. Hope this helps.
Anyway, should you need further info, just PM me...
Emre

mmm... unfortunately, i have family only in istanbul, ankara, and cesme...
i've in the past been as far south as antalya, and as far east as göreme, but i've never been as far south-east as urfa, or even adana for that matter..

really, the issue is, i don't think my family would take too kindly to the idea that i've flown all the way to turkey, and i'm going off scorpion hunting instead of spending time with them. thus, i think i'm restricted to the west-coast area (since i will be there anyways).

my main question really, is whether i should be searching near the beach, or further inland, and whether or not i'm more likely to find them at lower or higher elevations... and as far as environment type i'm guessing more in the "mediterraean scrub" type environment, and less in forested areas?

- munis

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey Munis,

Before you get any ideas about bringing any scorpions back with you I would suggest you watch the movie "Midnight Express".;).
Have a great trip!!