Collecting in the Las Vegas area...

talljosh003

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
does anyone know some good spots to collect scorps in this area? im trying to collect some new ones and so far not too successful. does anyone know any "hotspots" that arent too far?

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
have you found any?? i think v. spinigerus, c. sculpturatus(maybe), and other vaejovids, might be around there..

talljosh003

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nope I haven't caught any so far, I hear we have spadix and arizonensis around here but haven't been successful in catching any. Lol the most irritating thing is I hear countless stories of people finding scorps in there house and killing them when there's people like me who actually want them and can't find any. Its quite frusterating. I really want to find a dune scorp, I've seen a few vids of them and they seem really exciting.

talljosh003

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I wish some would take up residence in my house, I would have no problem with it :) do you know any good places to catch them?

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Josh you need to flip rocks and use a UV lamp. In Las Vegas I would wager your only going to find c sculp in any signifcant numbers, maybe a spadix or too. Theres only a couple Las Vegasers around here but either way they will tell you that you need to look in many places, even people who have them native can't always walk around picking them up by the 5's and 10's. Chances of you finding a Smerinigurus mesaensis are slim to none, they are located across the border in CA. Search areas with piles of rock, and even trash. If your vacationing there chances of you finding anything in any populated area is also slim to none, they are considered pests and are treated that way, so I'm sure any resorts and or public places with have pesticides to at least deter them.

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
when I'm in Vegas I always look for Arizonensis and Spadix...

talljosh003

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
EAD063,

yeah i figured s. mesa wouldnt be around here. Me and my friend planned on taking a trip to the border we are just new to the whole searching for scorps thing and dont know where to look. do you know any good places along the border?

i_like_scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't personally think there are any "hot spots" to find scorps anyway unless they are a communal species and as stated above you'll just have to look for them. Here in Utah I can go out on almost any given day around where I live and find a v. boreus (aka p. boreus). They are the smallest of species found in Utah but are cool nonetheless. They are only about 2" from chelicera to the telson but they are extremely active. Utah has 9 species and as with any other place it depends on the location in the state. Good luck though; hope you find something!!!

talljosh003

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Haha nope, I'm not a fan of small scorps, a spadix or mesa is what I really want right now

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've never seen one that big..The biggest one I've seen was a large gravid female that was only 3 inches..I have owned around 20 of them and most of them are between 2-3 inches as adults.

talljosh003

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
oh, hmmm. i guess i should check my sources. thanks for the info. in that case im def. going to stick to spadix cause i know they're big. :} I think the only reason s. mesa interested me was because they are extremely fast