collecting in Ga?

Jake85

Arachnopeon
So, I'm in Georgia at the moment and pretty well bored out of my mind. I've done a little research and found that V carolinianus and maybe C vittatus can be found in the area. I figure I'll go out later and see what I can find, and at the very least get a few pictures of whatever there is to see. Anyone have any experience in western Georgia, Colombus-ish? I'm wondering what the chances of finding the C vittatus are.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm wondering what the chances of finding the C vittatus are.
You wont find any!! Now C hentzi lives in the Southern part of the State. They can be found in the bark of fallen pine trees.

Jake85

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the info correction. I have a book that lists it as C vittatus and had also seen the same designation used on a few websites, but had wondered if it was just a species from the Centruroides genus with the most handy species title tacked on.

Uncle Manny

Arachnopeon
GA scorpions

I lived in Atlanta for 30+ years and found V.carolinensis very common in the vicinity. They may be abundant in old woodpiles (with loose bark) and under the bark of fallen trees and other ground litter ajacent to moist pine woodlands. Blacklighting can effective, but "peeling" bark is best. They are small and very fast to escape.

I never found C.vittatus, but there are several records of them being found in places that have stored mesquite wood. Mequite is frequently brought from Texas for use in barbecue resturants. It would surely me hit and miss, but checking a likely mesquite woodpile (particularly an old established one) might prove productive. There surely is no lack of barbecue places near Columbus.

C.henzii (I believe that's the species) are common in cutover pinelands with ground clutter and rotting logs in the lower Coastal Plain. I've never hunted near Columbus, but south of there seems to be the prefered habitat. These scorpions are also very small and quick.

Please be careful when hunting to not destroy the micohabit because many other invertebrates and vertebrates share and need the habitat to survive. Also, be particularly aware of the isideous and "nasty" Red Imported Fire Ants, they can be a serious problem.

I hope this helps.

Uncle Manny

Uncle Manny

Jake85

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the input. Went out yesterday evening and had a poke around. Didn't really find anything except an Apheloria sp millipede, a spiny orbweaver of some sort, and many many ants, but it was good to get out for a brief while.