Collapsible Snake Tong

Nir Avraham

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a snake tong. I want a snake tong that would be not more then 60cm (24 inches). I saw on Midwest's website, that they have 40 inches collapsible snake tong. Those are recommend? Would you buy a collapsible snake tong?
I'm not sure if those are good and worth buying, it's not like collapsible snake hooks...

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I have to ask. What kind of snake? I mean, ratter, fine, king, sure, rattler, yes. Krait, you're going to get banged.
I don't know beans about the hobbyists and their handling various snakes but the sentiments about grabbing a snake with the old pros who work with cobras and the like is no. When the snake feels a constriction around them they go berserk and start biting madly any which way. So you turn what could be a docile handling into a nip fest almost every time.
(Kraits are almost always placid, amiable and slow moving. But constrict grab one and you have a lethal tornado on your hands.)
Oh yes, speaking from experience, if you use tongs on a rattler and it gets loose they often go first class bite crazy instead of putting it in the wind.

Last edited:

Nir Avraham

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In Israel there are 8 species of vipers and 1 of cobra. So, mainly with vipers. I'm using snake hook for viper right now, and it's harder to control a baby viper with this. I'm talking about 20-25 cm viper...

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I'm guessing the vipers blast right over the hook. You don't have much choice then. I'd get some practice in. Get them used to the grab and you get used to the grabbing. Vipers get pissed off so darned easy it wouldn't make much difference.
With the cobras they are pretty easy to hook. Lift the front end a little then grab the end of the tail. They don't excited very easily.

Kaouthai get used to being picked up by the tail, though I wouldn't recommend being as casual as this guy.

Last edited: