Cold Weather Housing

Buggrt

Arachnopeon
I am about to start getting into keeping tarantulas (I just made a post in the Tarantula thread asking for beginner tips), and was curious on thoughts about keeping tarantulas in colder weather. It's getting cold where I live and I saw that most people said to get a space heater, but my apartment doesn't allow them. I was thinking of doing something like TheTarantulaCollective does for his spiderlings, where he makes an enclosure for them with a larger tank and some heating pads. I have an old 10-gallon tank from when I had crayfish and was going to insulate it and put a couple heating pads at the top, connected to a thermostat to turn the pads off and on. I would then put the tarantulas on the bottom (so opposite the pads, not on them) and possible a water dish (if my apartment gets dry). Three would be slings and one would be a juvenile. I was just curious if there were any modifications anyone could think of, or if it's not the best idea. Thanks in advanced!

Arthropodunk

Arachnopeon
I feel like that because heat rises it would be more beneficial to put heating pads underneath with a layer of styrofoam in case of overheating.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Don’t use UTHs under the tank of a T container, that’s a tip.

Don’t watch StupidTube either, it’s full of stupidity, click bait.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
room temperature is fine for most spiders, you can even air out the rooms in winter for a few minutes without trouble, but i wouldn't go much lower than 18°C for prolonged periods of time if you can help it.

I feel like that because heat rises it would be more beneficial to put heating pads underneath with a layer of styrofoam in case of overheating.
never do that!

Buggrt

Arachnopeon
Don’t use UTHs under the tank of a T container, that’s a tip.

Don’t watch StupidTube either, it’s full of stupidity, click bait.
I try not to be naive and listen to everything youtubers say (hence my asking here). The heating mats would go on top, so they aren't directly underneath them and would hopefully heat the air inside the larger tank rather than the T containers.

Buggrt

Arachnopeon
room temperature is fine for most spiders, you can even air out the rooms in winter for a few minutes without trouble, but i wouldn't go much lower than 18°C for prolonged periods of time if you can help it.

never do that!
My worry is the bad heating/thermostat control of my apartment. For example, yesterday I had it at 74°F (~23°C), and I can guarantee it was probably around 18°C for at 4-6 hours (I like it cold, like 18°C, and it was close to that). This is a common occurrence too, so it wouldn't be once every week, but like at least once every day.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I have had my spiders for almost 3,5 years now, no special heating, in winter, at night i can get as low as 16°C (off and on) because my room is the last one the hot water gets to and the thermostat, set to 18°C is in the bathroom were the hot water gets to first. Also when airing out the room for 5 minutes every day it gets way colder for a short period of time but heating kicks in right after.

I wouldnt worry too much. I have got some slings again this year and they are still molting and growing though i am sure it is a little slower than it would be at higher temps. So far nothing seems amiss.

anything you can do about the faulty thermostat? That could be a problem if you cant predict it.

Last edited:

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I am about to start getting into keeping tarantulas (I just made a post in the Tarantula thread asking for beginner tips), and was curious on thoughts about keeping tarantulas in colder weather. It's getting cold where I live and I saw that most people said to get a space heater, but my apartment doesn't allow them. I was thinking of doing something like TheTarantulaCollective does for his spiderlings, where he makes an enclosure for them with a larger tank and some heating pads. I have an old 10-gallon tank from when I had crayfish and was going to insulate it and put a couple heating pads at the top, connected to a thermostat to turn the pads off and on. I would then put the tarantulas on the bottom (so opposite the pads, not on them) and possible a water dish (if my apartment gets dry). Three would be slings and one would be a juvenile. I was just curious if there were any modifications anyone could think of, or if it's not the best idea. Thanks in advanced!
Only one person to watch on YT and that's Tom Moran.

What you listed would work as long as the heating pad is on the top only like you mentioned.

Personally I would just keep them in the bathroom with the door always closed and roll a towel up to put at the bottom of the door.

You can buy a humidifier heater as that is not considered a space heater or radiator heating device and should pass the landlord policy.

Buggrt

Arachnopeon
I have had my spiders for almost 3,5 years now, no special heating, in winter, at night i can get as low as 16°C (off and on) because my room is the last one the hot water gets to and the thermostat, set to 18°C is in the bathroom were the hot water gets to first. Also when airing out the room for 5 minutes every day it gets way colder for a short period of time but heating kicks in right after.

I wouldnt worry too much. I have got some slings again this year and they are still molting and growing though i am sure it is a little slower than it would be at higher temps. So far nothing seems amiss.

anything you can do about the faulty thermostat? That could be a problem if you cant predict it.
Thanks for sharing your experience with them, I probably won't do anything special then unless there seems to be a problem.

Unfortunately I don't think it's necessarily a faulty thermostat, I have a feeling it's more because my unit has three rooms (two bedrooms with a lot of area and a common space) and most likely that it only reads one of the rooms, and probably not close to the windows (which both bedrooms are closer to). My bathroom/closet is farther away from the windows, so maybe I'll try that too.

Buggrt

Arachnopeon
Only one person to watch on YT and that's Tom Moran.

What you listed would work as long as the heating pad is on the top only like you mentioned.

Personally I would just keep them in the bathroom with the door always closed and roll a towel up to put at the bottom of the door.

You can buy a humidifier heater as that is not considered a space heater or radiator heating device and should pass the landlord policy.
I had heard of Tom (I read his sling husbandry guide) and listened to a couple of his things. I've been thinking of listening more of his stuff.

I never thought about a humidifier heater, thanks for the tip, it will most likely pass the policy!

Arthropodunk

Arachnopeon
Maybe instead of regurgitating “information” without any solid critical thinking or experimentation one should try a few different methods (while removing the “live variable” and see what works.
This is tarantula keeping, not pharmacology people.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
To do that way you need way more things than a styrofoam sheet, and it would be my last choice.

First you will need a nice barrier that acts like heat insulator/acumulator, I used fine grade mortar. This will slow down the heating process but will make the heat last longer, also it will prevent sudden temp spikes. On top of that layer you need another substrate that will retain some moisture, but be hard to burrow, like a mix of clay and sand. The thermostat probe should be placed here. Then another layer of topsoil.

This heating method needs to be watched constantly to prevent issues. And I'd only use it in extreme cold conditions.

There are better solutions like heating a cabinet. But sometimes the cold is so big, that the heat mat won't be capable of heating that enclosure. That method works for that situations providing at least a warm hide (not too warm, warm enough) until other methods are factibles on.

Maybe instead of regurgitating “information” without any solid critical thinking or experimentation one should try a few different methods (while removing the “live variable” and see what works.
And you are referring to?...

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Arrogant much? This is a place for people to ask questions, why should they feel bad about that

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
Can I ask whether it’s better for our spiders, in winter, to allow temps to drop a bit - rather than use excessive central heating to try and keep things stable all year round (i.e. 24 C etc.)? I know my own skin dries out and becomes itchy with excessive central heating use in the colder months.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Can I ask whether it’s better for our spiders, in winter, to allow temps to drop a bit - rather than use excessive central heating to try and keep things stable all year round (i.e. 24 C etc.)? I know my own skin dries out and becomes itchy with excessive central heating use in the colder months.
More than the temp drop it could be better to keep them more humid, also for you. Does your central heating use a humidifier? If not it makes the cold winter air even drier, hence the skin problems.

Maybe you can find a room where they can stay around 65-68 with a bit more humid environment.

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
More than the temp drop it could be better to keep them more humid, also for you. Does your central heating use a humidifier? If not it makes the cold winter air even drier, hence the skin problems.

Maybe you can find a room where they can stay around 65-68 with a bit more humid environment.
No humidifier. I have a system that draws air from the bathroom and the kitchen outside and the air from outside into the living and bedrooms. Maybe I could get some sort of standalone humidifier and put it near the spiders. Or move the spiders to a particular room and humidify it, as you suggest.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Standalone humidifier work better for smaller rooms, depending on the power of course.

If you have skin problems, I'd put it in the room where you stay most of the time, and if the T can be in that room, way better.

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
@VaporRyder

Have you decided what tarantulas you are getting and their actual sizes?
Hi! I am not the OP (I’m assuming that you thought I was due to the thread hijack lol)

I have 19 at present, from sling to medium/large juvenile.

8 pokies (8 different species), 1 T.apophysis, 1 P.murinus (RCF), 1 L.parahybana, 1 H.incei, 1 C.sp ‘hati hati’
1 P.sp ‘sabah blue’, 1 x C.minax, 1 x C.lividus, 1 C.huahini, 1 P.sazimai, 1 T.albopilosus

:D

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Hi! I am not the OP (I’m assuming that you thought I was due to the thread hijack lol)

I have 19 at present, from sling to medium/large juvenile.

8 pokies (8 different species), 1 T.apophysis, 1 P.murinus (RCF), 1 L.parahybana, 1 H.incei, 1 C.sp ‘hati hati’
1 P.sp ‘sabah blue’, 1 x C.minax, 1 x C.lividus, 1 C.huahini, 1 P.sazimai, 1 T.albopilosus

:D
Yup...sorry old age in effect here.