Cold weather a big issue for centipedes?

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Hi guys. After the death of my Scolopendra morsitans (which was likely due to old age), I'm going to use his vacant enclosure to house a large Ethmostigmus rubripes in. However, recently, it has gotten really quite cold (25 degrees Celsius in the day, down to about 15 at night), and I'm wondering if it would be able to survive simply by burrowing in the substrate.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I would say look at the high/low temps of the region they are native to.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Obviously 25c is fine, 15c could well be a bit nippy though.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I would say look at the high/low temps of the region they are native to.
Well, we're only allowed to keep natives here in Australia. The species, E. rubripes, is found Australia wide, from the deserts to the rainforests. Surely they can burrow to avoid unfavourable temps?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Well, we're only allowed to keep natives here in Australia. The species, E. rubripes, is found Australia wide, from the deserts to the rainforests. Surely they can burrow to avoid unfavourable temps?
Have a look at the night time temperatures.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Both. But that is outdoor temperature (I actually found a baby E.rubripes wandering about in the morning at school camp, and it was about 10 degrees) I don't think it drops to below 20 in my apartment.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Both. But that is outdoor temperature (I actually found a baby E.rubripes wandering about in the morning at school camp, and it was about 10 degrees) I don't think it drops to below 20 in my apartment.
If it doesn't drop below 20 you're right as a clock.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Yeah. I'm probably just being excessively worried after losing my morsitans. But then, I presume it was age that killed him as he had gone through five cold winters prior.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yeah. I'm probably just being excessively worried after losing my morsitans. But then, I presume it was age that killed him as he had gone through five cold winters prior.
There's absolutely nowt wrong with questioning yourself and/or worrying.

If your house doesn't get below 20 you've absolutely nothing to worry about though. Nowt.