Cohabitation

hillie16

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Any T's that cohabitate past slingdom? Or will they chomp each other no matter what?

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Some on this board have had success keep tarantulas of the spieces together. Baracuda has a pair of T blondi's together. I think Jacen has some A. avic's together. There may be some others too, but I'm not sure whom

Now as for diffrent spieces I've never herd of anyone havins success with that.

betelgeuse

Arachnopeon
Avics and Pokes can be kept together with caution.

It quite often leads to disaster for at least one of the spiders, but can be done. They need lots of space and hiding places.

A female Cyriopagopus Thorelli has been sighted in the wild living with several juveniles by Mark Pennell (BTS webmaster).

The "Chicken Spider" (can't remember the Latin name as it is a new discovery) is the only known terrestrial that lives communally. Again, it was a female with several juveniles living in a burrow together. This discovery was recently made by Martin Nicholas in Peru.

There is also a zoo (I think it is in America) that has T. Blondi living communally believe it or not. Being a zoo though, I expect they have an enormous set up for it.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Although that is hardly conclusive evidence for communal living T's(image looks photoshopped, weve had this debate before) or a new species. Show me a scientific journal, not a BBC article about chickens. The evidence shown in the article is purely anecdotal.

-V

betelgeuse

Arachnopeon
The photo is not a fake. Martin Nicholas is on the BTS committee and is highly respected in the hobby worldwide.

Martin has only just discovered their communal lifestyle and so the number of articles will, of course be limited. There is a transcript of a chat session that Martin took part in about the Chicken Spider on the BTS site.

I have met Martin and know several others who know him very well (including other BTS committee members) and all of these people (highly knowledgable and highly regarded within the hobby) can vouch for Martin's integrity.