coconut husk mushrooms mystery photos this time, please I.D

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
so here are some more that popped up in my p.irminias tank which isnt even that moist!!!

so there they are, this same mushroom has now grown in 3 diffrent tanks??!!!

please can someone tell me what they are, latin name aslo please, and of course if they are harmfull to my tarantulas.

thanks guys, i have faith in you ;)

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Blood,

While I don't know the name these are the same that I get occationally when my enclosures are very wet. I got a little overzealous with me overflowing the water dish a few times without letting it properly dry enough before the next. This caused them to sprout up the same.

By your pictures it appears your enclosure is very damp by the coloration of the coir and the presence of the fungi. I know you state "it's not even that moist" but from what I can see it's too much. While I'm not sure of the situation as to why you have this I've found that if you allow this to dry they won't pop up as much or ever. Since I've more carefully allowed the coir to dry a bit between overflowing the water bowl I've not had a single one.

I would allow that enclosure to dry and remove them at the root.

Hope others have insightful responses as to the type of shroom.

Cheers,

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
its not wet in the enclosure, its the same as you i overflow the water bowl and dont let it dry out, its a very shalow water dish, one r those reptile ones made to look like a rock, so it dries out esily becase its shallow, thats why the glass and substrate look so wet, the rest of the tank is dry.

ill pull them out like i always do and buy her a better water dish, should help.
just want someone to I.D the mushrooms if they can

but thanks :)

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There are so many different species of white mushroom like that that it's not worth trying to get an I'd from a pic. You need a spore print and MUCH better pics to even have a chance. You might also check out a mycology site.

Having said that though, the only way one could damage your T would be for it to be ingested. I think you're probably ok ;)

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are so many different species of white mushroom like that that it's not worth trying to get an I'd from a pic. You need a spore print and MUCH better pics to even have a chance. You might also check out a mycology site.

Having said that though, the only way one could damage your T would be for it to be ingested. I think you're probably ok ;)
I agree to a point and only because it's been said by Cody here, since he's done work with fungi, that potentially it's byproduct is heavier than air and could settle and displacing oxygen.

I'm sure though it would have to be a ton but I'll let him respond if he wishes but for human health as well the potential for ~more~ I would remove it before it fruits and dumps it's spores in the remaining substrate and air. They could be a constant nuisance from that point forward.

I've pulled them at the source/root and flushed them and allowed the area to dry and haven't had another since.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the thing is: the mushroom itself is the fruiting body of the mycelium ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycelium ) in the substrate. it eats decaying matter and the only way it could suffocate the T is if the enclosure was airtight.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the thing is: the mushroom itself is the fruiting body of the mycelium ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycelium ) in the substrate. it eats decaying matter and the only way it could suffocate the T is if the enclosure was airtight.
Oh I agree but I don't know the particulars so I didn't want to speak not knowing 100% and unfortunately didn't have time this evening to check many places.

While I don't think it would be harmful they do spread by spores so allowing them to come to fruition would only allow more spores to spread causing a greater problem.

Oh well.. I think you get my point as I yours Skippy :)

Again I say pull them, flush them and allow the area to dry.. No need to have them around and can only get worse. ;)

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do they have any blue coloration to them? {D

They could make some pretty cool decorations in a setup, especially if you could get some of the Alice in Wonderland type mushrooms to grow (Muscaria/Fly Agaric?).

webbedone

Arachnobaron
i wonder how high those would make you if you dried em up in your oven and chewed them... Remove at the root WITH the soil its embeded in or risk the chance of it growing again no T's wont eat them, no they dont harm them, but they do attract all sorts of other things that bring bad joo joo with them dig them out dry em eat them get rid of them.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so here are some more that popped up in my p.irminias tank which isnt even that moist!!! ...
Obviously moist enough to support mushroom growth. That's almost universally too wet for most tarantulas. The presence of mushrooms strongly suggests that other, far more malignant things could also grow there.

... so there they are, this same mushroom has now grown in 3 diffrent tanks??!!! ...
All that means is that either you used the same substrate from the same package for all three cages, or the mushroom spores have spread through the air and infected all your cages.

... please can someone tell me what they are, latin name aslo please, ...
And, if you did know this, what good would it do? Or, to put it other ways, "How would it help you?" "Would it be worth the trouble?"

... and of course if they are harmfull to my tarantulas. ...
Ah! The UK £ 64,000 question! Forget all the malarkey about strange gasses and suffocating the tarantula. Fungi don't work that way except in science fiction movies.

You have two concerns:

1) Are the fungi harming your tarantulas? You're the one with the mushrooms in their cages. You tell us! Have you noticed any tarantulas dying, waltzing in little circles, giggling hysterically, or otherwise doing weird, non-tarantula things? Probably not, so the answer is probably no.

2) See my first comment above.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to clean out the infested cages and set them up with dry substrate and a water dish. Only. No misting, no dampening around the water dish, no live plants, no moss. You may install other furnishings as long as they do not introduce or require moisture or water.

Once you learn how to take care of your tarantulas you can try damp cages with a few that will tolerate them (But, note I used the term "tolerate," not "require.") and experiment with isopods (aka, sowbugs, pillbugs, rollie-pollies, wood lice). But, by then you'll be learning about caring for isopods, not tarantulas. That's a major redirection from the current hobby.

You might be interested in reading http://arachnophiles.myfreeforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8889.

When you start setting up cages to mimic wild habitats like jungles, they tend to start acting like jungles where the meal du jour is your tarantula. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Enjoy your little, wild, hallucinogenic, 8-legged wonder.

BatGirl

MAJOR
Old Timer
Cage way too moist = very bad

Roger on mushrooms growing means too much moisture and potential for other 'things' growing (flies, maggots, etc.) which can be very, very, very bad for your tarantula.

Mushrooms = bad sign :embarrassed: (i.e you are failing in your responsibility to one of God's wonderful creatures - you are in a domestic contract with this animal that requires you to either return it to it's natural enviroment, or take care of it by protecting it, feeding, etc.)

Dry out substrate (oven set at about 300°F for 30 minutes will kill all spores if substrate is spread fairly thin in a tray), or better idea just to be safe is to replace it with new substrate, and in the future just stop letting any water 'hang around'... a little spill at the water dish that dries up in a day or so is fine, but any moist substrate that lingers is asking for trouble - really it does! So stop screwing around and fix this 'issue' ASAP :cool:

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok these grew in my cobolts tank and my pink toe and my p irminias.
ive had tarantulas before, i started out with the chillian rose but in my last collection i had a h.lividum a king baboon an obt, all were perfectly fine, i was using soil that time, i know how to care for my tarantulas they are all nicly fed and watered and not kept too moist, like the first guy said its basically the corner where the water dish overflows the rest of that tank in the pictures substrate is dry.
i know you say if its moist enough to grow mushrooms then its too moist but i dont have any swamp dwelling tarantulas and my 2 h.lividums are kept more on the dry side like the tarantula keepers guide said they can be fine on the drier side, i put a half cup of water into there tanks and the soil soaks it up, then it dries up, same with my pink toe.

i have now changed all my tanks to a peat/soil combo and have had much better results.
i dont think ill be having mushroom problems again, and i havnt ever had a problem with mites.

thankyou for your opinions but i do want you to know i KNOW how to look after my tarantulas and i know not what to do to annoy them or even bring them to harm atall.
infact the two tarantulas i had that died one in my currrent collection and one in my old one was both times a h.minax the first had a deep burrow and wasnt a tidy tarantula mites infested her because she kept dead food at the bottem of her burrow, and i suspect she was wild caught and already may have been infected with mites.
the second one had lost a leg and molted and got stuck, i tried to help and im no sergion but i thought id try and yes she died but i accept that and will learn from it.

again thanks for opinions but i DO know how to care for my tarantulas. :)

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
I would suggest moving the dish farther from the glass, it looks really close. Also feeders might eat the fungus and the T will eat them so if they do carry a toxin it could enter the T's system.

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks everyone again for opinions, ive changed the substrate for all of my tarantulas exept my g.rosea she is fine, no mold. :)

and i bought some new water dishes so the water wont spill over as much.

and im sorry to pikaha i didnt realise you wrote the tarantula keepers guide, i really do rely on it as a better source for info then my other tarantula books.

really i just wanted to say i dont keep my tarantulas in too moist tanks, i know its bad and causes alot of problems.

thankyou again :)

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... and im sorry to pikaha i didnt realise you wrote the tarantula keepers guide, i really do rely on it as a better source for info then my other tarantula books. ...
"Sorry?" For what? I may be the one who should apologize. I went back and reread my responses, and now realize that they didn't come across quite the way I intended. Let's call it a draw and forget it?

And thanks for the plug! {D