Coconut hide and me never seeing my new T...

The Shadow

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My new adult female OBT has been in its hide for 4 days now. It ate the crickets I put in there but I have yet to see the thing. It webbed up the entrance to the coconut hide too.

Since they web so much does it really need a hide do ya think? :8o

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You don't have to give her a hide but I think she likes it. So why take it away?

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hide

It gives them something to anchor the tube web, and they probably feel more secure with structure around their web. And they normally DO web heavily. Not a species to be in the open much, altho, you may glimpse them hanging out a little.

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If it gives you any consolation, I have only seen my OBT twice in 4 months... :) Once was when company was over, so that made me uber happy. :D

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All my OBT's have coconut hides or flower pots. A couple of mine have actually made their hide on top of their coconuts. Mine come out frequently at night or at least to the entrance of whatever hide they chose to use. i would let your OBT keep the hide.

Desert Rose

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I know the feeling. My G. rosea is the same way with its hide.

I would try to make a hide where it thinks you can't see it when you really can. Or, my neighbor tinted his whole tank with one way tinting and took away his OBT's hide. This way it feels secure, and he can watch it. Just an idea...

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It won't always be that way. Eventually, she'll come out and web over the hide. Just be patient. She'll be worth the wait.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I gave my OBT a coco hide in the corner of its tank. However, it decided to burrow and web behind it. It did make a second entrance through the floor of the hide so I guess I can call that using it. I have since given it a paper towel tube with one end blocked. It took a few days but it seems to like it. It also makes rehousing, cleaning, etc. very easy because all I have to do is block the open end and take it out. The downside is similar to yours. It likes it so much I rarely see it anymore...

icenola

Arachnopeon
So when they totally "lock" (as in blocking the entrance) themselves inside their hides...doesn't always mean they perhaps want to molt?

I have a Nhandu coloratovillosus in a coconut hide for the last 8 days..won't come out..won't eat.......I'm thinking it wants to molt and for me to leave it alone.

How long do they linger around before they finally decide to molt...weeks?

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Of all the pets I have ever owned, T's are th only ones where you get to see them only at supper time and at 3:30 in the morning, and that alone makes ya happy. Part-time pets they are!!!;P

dangerprone69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
General rule: an OBT you don't see is a happy little OBT. If they're out all the time they're probably pissed and may try to eat you. :D

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
General rule: an OBT you don't see is a happy little OBT. If they're out all the time they're probably pissed and may try to eat you. :D
Couldn't agree more - You'll never tame the T so enjoy her as she is...happy! Late night glimpses are all the more valuable with this species, and once she has her regular hidey hole and settles in, you will probably see more of her anyway.