Coconut fibre safe for borrowers?

thunderthief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When I got my A. Seemanni I didnt realise it was going to dig such a big burrow. It goes right to the bottom of the substrate and then widens into quite a big opening at the bottom of the tank.

The substrate is 100% Coconut fibre. Today I've been thinking how safe is this? Should I have used a Coconut/Vermiculite mix? And what is the danger of the borrow collapsing on my T?

Cheers

Mike

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My g. aureostriata did something similar in its old enclosure, also 100% coconut fiber, and I had no problems with collapsing, so I would say you have nothing to worry about.

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No trouble here with it when it comes to burrows, though it can smell a bit unusual and mold.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yes should be ok but i can not say i notice any smell ? with my ones :confused: === phil

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Huh? Smelly and moldy? Coconut coir is all I've used for over a year for arboreals,terrestrials, burrowers and frogs. I've never had issues with it. The only way I could see either of these issues being even a possible problem is the lack of proper ventilation.

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep Pyst, I agree, I have it in my tanks, they smell fresh and clean, but they are also vented well.

nomadofthehills

Arachnopeon
I've used cocofiber for reptiles, for a long time. Work in a petstore too. I've never seen cocofiber mold. It normaly smells quite nice, like after rain in the woods.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It is the perfect substrate for burrowers IMO. You may get mold spores and mushrooms growing in it, but neither seem to worry the spider!

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Same happens with peat, Lopéz. I had some huge mushrooms sprout up in one end of my C. fimbriatus enclosure. Spider wasn't bothered at all :)

Mizerie

Arachnopeon
I've been using it for my H.lividum sling for about a month now.....so far so good.

thunderthief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for all the replies. I was going to order a H. Lividum this week but I think one pet hole is enough for now. So instead Im ordering a T. Blondi. AndI'll keep using my fav substrate the cocnut fibre.

Cheers

Mike

common spider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have always used this type of substrate for all my inverts and the mushroom thing I have had that happen also and I thought it looked kind of cool in the tank and it did not seem to upset the T at all.As far as the smell thing goes those type of things have never got to me.It just smells like the earth so its no big deal I kind of like it.

thunderthief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Its funny really, but the only time I've noticed the smell (and even then I liked it) was when I had a tub I had used for mixing a couple of the blocks. I left the tub once empty in my cuboard, you could smell it when you opened it.
My only concern was that the borrow would collapse on her.

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i've used cocofiber with no problems either. ive had no experience with mold because of good ventilation.