Coconino County, AZ - Scolopendra hotspots?

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
I'm on vacation in Page, AZ for a week or so and I believe there are two Scolopendra species that inhabit the deserts around that area (heros and polymorpha), so I'm interested in catching a specimen of each. Unfortunately, I've had no luck trying to catch one as of yet; flipping rocks at the Grand Canyon NP, around Lake Powell, and at Lees Ferry yielded no results. Anyone know of some other good locations that I could try in Coconino County or in south-central Utah?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
You aren't likely to get good answers as revealing specific locations publicly is I believe against Arachnoboards rules.
However, I can say that S. heros is usually only found after heavy monsoon rains; S. polymorpha is also more common after monsoon rains, though if you flip enough rocks you should find at least one. I would say try to get off the beaten track into prime habitat as much as possible, or explore along the margins of trails once you have hiked a little ways past the trailhead.
That said, S. polymorpha can often be found in large concentrations under firm pieces of trash like large plywood boards and broken cement (again most commonly after rains) in illegal desert dump sites.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

mellow

Arachnobaron
I've been looking for some scolopendra too but have not even found one polymorpha, monsoon season has been extremely late the last few years, it's super annoying! 😃

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just last week a visited a couple of sites where S. polymorpha had been extremely abundant last year, slightly earlier in the wetter part of the season. This visit, many rocks were flipped, but not a single polymorpha in sight. Simply too dry.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
You aren't likely to get good answers as revealing specific locations publicly is I believe against Arachnoboards rules.
Hmm... I double checked the rules and I don't see anything like that, especially since I'm asking for public places and such rather than people's addresses. I'll keep that in mind.
However, I can say that S. heros is usually only found after heavy monsoon rains; S. polymorpha is also more common after monsoon rains, though if you flip enough rocks you should find at least one. I would say try to get off the beaten track into prime habitat as much as possible, or explore along the margins of trails once you have hiked a little ways past the trailhead.
That said, S. polymorpha can often be found in large concentrations under firm pieces of trash like large plywood boards and broken cement (again most commonly after rains) in illegal desert dump sites.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts
As it turns out, there are some spare plywood boards at the ranch house I'm staying at! A suggestion I was given was to create a flat hide near a rocky area by watering the ground and putting a flat piece of wood or something similar over the wet area, then leave it overnight and check for centipedes in the morning. I tried doing it with just discarded bark last evening (to no avail) because I wasn't sure if the house owners were using the plywood, but I can easily ask them to borrow it if that sort of object is as good a polymorpha attractant as you say.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The monsoons have started in the southern part of Arizona - got caught in a heavy downpour yesterday just south of Tucson. They'll be working their way north now. I've been seeing S. heros in small numbers around the house for the past couple months, and one S. polymorpha showed up in the house a week or so ago. I expect they'll be more active now.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Update: It rained a decent amount yesterday, so I checked under a bunch of discarded mats, pieces of wood, rocks, and the plywood I set out. I managed to find one centipede... and it was a Scolopocryptops, not a Scolopendra! :banghead:
I caught it and I'm still planning on keeping it, but it was a definite disappointment!

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
You’re looking out of range for heros.
Yeah, I realize it's not present in Page according to the range maps I've seen, although I think it has a presence in the southernmost part of the county, which is why I was asking for specific location suggestions.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You’re looking out of range for heros.
Technically, out of KNOWN range. In the world of arthropods, range extensions are common. Doesn't mean they actually occur there, or that they occur there in strong enough population densities that he's likely to catch one - but it won't hurt to try. Especially since he's stuck there plus the other species (S. polymorpha) he's looking for is a possibility.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Technically, out of KNOWN range. In the world of arthropods, range extensions are common. Doesn't mean they actually occur there, or that they occur there in strong enough population densities that he's likely to catch one - but it won't hurt to try. Especially since he's stuck there plus the other species (S. polymorpha) he's looking for is a possibility.
She, but yes. Unfortunately, I'm heading back right now sans Scolopendra, but I really appreciate everyone's input and help, and at least I got that Scolopocryptops!