Coco fiber batch smells sweet

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
My last batch of coco fiber I made smells chemically sweet (kinda like marker fumes?)

Anyone have any explanation or experience?

Right now I'm baking some of it to see if that helps.

Do you think it's safe to use regardless?

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
Well, I don't sniff markers so I don't know what they smell like. :rofl: I've read reviews on these kinds of substrates about a similar problem, sometimes the animals (typically hermit crabs) died from it and the smell got worse. Baking it wouldn't get rid of chemical residue, try soaking it in distilled/dechlorinated water and dumping it out. If you do that cycle of rinsing, soaking, and dumping and it still has a smell then I wouldn't use it.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Well, I don't sniff markers so I don't know what they smell like. :rofl: I've read reviews on these kinds of substrates about a similar problem, sometimes the animals (typically hermit crabs) died from it and the smell got worse. Baking it wouldn't get rid of chemical residue, try soaking it in distilled/dechlorinated water and dumping it out. If you do that cycle of rinsing, soaking, and dumping and it still has a smell then I wouldn't use it.
I don't think it's chemical, I think it's more likely fungal. It's just closest to describe as a chemical smell.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
We’re you sniffing sharpies? Trying to use it might introduce more fungi but on Pangea, people rinsed it and let it dry and it sort of went away

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
We’re you sniffing sharpies? Trying to use it might introduce more fungi but on Pangea, people rinsed it and let it dry and it sort of went away
You have never used a strong thick sharpie in your life if you think you'd have to go out of your way to smell them.

I baked it and I'm letting it dry for the next couple of days

SquidStina

Arachnopeon
I've gotten a few coco bricks that smelled like that- a weird sweet "chemical" smell. To be honest I just ended up using it, and my Ts didn't seem bothered. The smell also faded over time after I soaked and dried it. Not sure what that was.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I made a batch of flake soil that over fermented and had too much moisture that ended up molding and made everyone in the house dizzy. It smelled sweet but I think it was the mold. If it smells weird, I would not use it or try to get all the smell out.

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
As far as I am concerned, coco fibre always smells weird and very unpleasant.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
As far as I am concerned, coco fibre always smells weird and very unpleasant.
I stopped using Coco fibre years ago. It's dusty when dry, and moulds like hell when wet, awful stuff. I now use Spider Bedding , pre packed, never had issues since.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Youre likely going to have mold/fungi issue's in thhe future if your baking it now, youre creating a suitable surface for things to be cultured on.

If somethig smells off, I wouldnt use it, Id just get new soil. Have you ever tried peat?

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have had the issue too. Still used it with no adverse effects whatsoever.