Cobalt Redrump -- Chromatapelma sp. or Cyclosternum sp.?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok. I thought that the Cobalt Redrump was Cyclosternum sp. That is what it is listed as on Rick West's site.

However, it is listed as Chromatapelma sp. on John Hoke's site.

So which is it?

I know that there is talk of synonymizing the two genuses. Maybe that is where the confusion lies.

Jon

Cronoss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I will be talking to John today,
I will ask him for you
I'll post his answer later.

Bryan

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cobalt Red Rump

I've also seen it listed as both names.

In stock in large quantities years ago at low prices, now virtually disappeared. Rarely bred if ever in the US breed, one of my males when through several females to no avail. Here's a beauty female.

N-Joy
Art

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just another spider that I need to get. Which does it act more like? C. cyanopubescens or C. fasciatatum? Does it do that awesome "butt in the air" thing that the C. fasciatatum does? Does it go through a big color metamorphasis like the C. cyanopubescens does? Does it webb the floor like a C. fasciatatum or make more elaborate webs like the C. cyanopubescens.

Jon

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
they act very similarly to C. fasciatum.

they do the funny butt thing, they web the floor, sometimes will burrow...

Cronoss(Bryan) is trying to breed a female i gave to him. i hope he has success... i would definatly want some of those babies.

They are a pet rock species though... very timid and slow.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Devildoll

They are a pet rock species though... very timid and slow.
My C. fasciatatum is really defensive when I open its terrarium lid. I will start spinning in circles with its butt in the air.

It really is neat!

Jon

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The patella striping is reminiscent of Cyclosternum, but the overall bulk (esp. in the femoral shape, the width and shape of the ceph and general size of the spider) remind me more of Chromatopelma.

Nice specimen. I've seen both names used and agree - they're rarely found available for sale at this point.

bill

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
What happened to the rumour that these two genera were synonomous? Wouldn't that about kill this thread ;)

Bill