cobalt blue

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was wondering how to house a H. lividum. I'm going to put it in a large critter keeper probably the equivilent of a 7 gallon aquarium, how deep should the substrate be? and how moist? If you have any pics I would love to see how your setups look. any info you have or just interesting stories I would appreciate? thanks for all the help!

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'll take pics of mine later on tonite.

substrate, substrate, substrate! As most (read: pretty much ALL) are hardcore burrowers, you'll need to make sure you give enough space to burrow (if you don't already with your other T's). I'd say i keep about 4-5inches on top of the substrate. But you can do it however you want.

Humidity is usually in the mid 70's to mid 80s, so don't have it dripping wet. Also, they will usually burrow to a comfortable level of humidity ("comfort" to them, i suppose).

fairly stable and sturdy as a molter, but, as with all other T's, you know the drill... :)

enjoy! Back in college, i used to keep one of mine in the hallway leading to the bathroom, and every time you'd awake in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, the T would just jump out of its burrow, i guess mistaking me for possible prey (or another T).

It's pretty funny once you get used to it, but it scared the hell out of me, cos it caught me off guard

anyways, they're really really interesting to watch, if this is your first real burrower. Plus, when you get the light just right, and can see the colouration really well, its pretty amazing.

Enjoy!
peace,
dave

Last edited:

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was also wondering if there is anyway I can coax it to burrow against the wall so I can see it? this isn't a must I just thought it would be interesting to see. me and the pet shop owner are going to make a few of the flat tanks they show in the TKG. I figure for most T's it would need to be 2" wide, about 12-15" across, and around 15" tall. the only hard part is the lid.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well

Personally, i've coaxed a few Ts to burrow against a wall (start a really nice sturdy burrow, and place them in it, and then let them finish it and fix it up themselves). I would say thats alright as long as its the wall of the cage that is facing the wall.

I've read people that say, however, that, since they build burrows for a reason, you probably don't want to have their burrow/comfort spot/'home' half open to light. The point of the burrow is akin to the point of our own homes -- 'living spaces', eating spaces, childrearing spaces. If part of it is exposed, i guess it's not good?

But my response to that is that I've had many T's burrow against a wall, on their own. So, in the end, who really knows, right? So, you can start a burrow against a wall, or maybe they'll do it on their own.

haha. Alright,good luck man!
peace
dave :)