Cobalt Blue

THExMETAL666

Arachnopeon
Hey guys ive recently been eye balling this little cobalt blue female that jamie has on her webpage at jamiestarantulas.com if anyone could throw me a tip or two on care for them or even suggestions on starter T's that'd be awsome

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What works for me is: inches (but inches) of moist substrate, top notch ventilation, a piece of cork bark, water dish. Done :-s

THExMETAL666

Arachnopeon
What works for me is: inches (but inches) of moist substrate, top notch ventilation, a piece of cork bark, water dish. Done :-s
Okay I have a friend that lives very close to me that can help me with all those needs my main concern is more along the lines of things like what should i feed it and how often because i dont want to over feed it. if its anything like my scorpion that wont be an issue but then again scorps and T's are very different lol. i also have a young child at home so it may not be a bad idea to put a lock on the encloser???

THExMETAL666

Arachnopeon
i am most likely going to get this T i just want to make sure and prepare for it before i get the T, so that being said ANY information about this species would be very helpful.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
is this your first tarantula? this is really a terrible species for a new keeper.

If you are new I direct you to this thread as all the good links for starter Ts are already posted.

Now in case you have some experience, Think of a tub with alot of dirt, there will be a hole in that dirt. Consider this hole your new pet because except on rare occasions its all your gonna see of it. And when I mean rare I mean I saw my T twice during the course of a year, once when I brought it home and once when I rehoused it.

THExMETAL666

Arachnopeon
Yes it is. like i said before though i have a friend that i hang out with pretty often that lives close and he has id say around 10-12 T's varing in species and maturity as well. he has 4 OBT slings and hes going to raise them until they are juvies and then he is going to actually give me one of them.

THExMETAL666

Arachnopeon
is this your first tarantula? this is really a terrible species for a new keeper.

If you are new I direct you to this thread as all the good links for starter Ts are already posted.

Now in case you have some experience, Think of a tub with alot of dirt, there will be a hole in that dirt. Consider this hole your new pet because except on rare occasions its all your gonna see of it. And when I mean rare I mean I saw my T twice during the course of a year, once when I brought it home and once when I rehoused it.
Yeah i know this species will stay in its burrow almost 99% of the time that part of the reason why i want it. if it moves around alot my kid will be wanting to see it and stuff alot and i dont want that because of obvious reasons

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Okay I have a friend that lives very close to me that can help me with all those needs my main concern is more along the lines of things like what should i feed it and how often because i dont want to over feed it. if its anything like my scorpion that wont be an issue but then again scorps and T's are very different lol. i also have a young child at home so it may not be a bad idea to put a lock on the encloser???
I would not even enter in the questions about "First T's", "experience level", "OBT (slings) of a friend" etc :)

Just do what I suggested to you and you are fine (set up/parameter talking only). As far as the feeding schedule, there isn't a rule. If you buy that spider (which I haven't viewed, so I don't even know the size... my advice for the set up however remain the same) wait at least a week... give to the Theraphosidae the time for settle. They NEED to burrow.

As for the venom potency, remember always that:

1) a potent one

2) they love to bite, deliver multiple bites in a row

THExMETAL666

Arachnopeon
I would not even enter in the questions about "First T's", "experience level", "OBT (slings) of a friend" etc :)

Just do what I suggested to you and you are fine (set up/parameter talking only). As far as the feeding schedule, there isn't a rule. If you buy that spider (which I haven't viewed, so I don't even know the size... my advice for the set up however remain the same) wait at least a week... give to the Theraphosidae the time for settle. They NEED to burrow.

As for the venom potency, remember always that:

1) a potent one

2) they love to bite, deliver multiple bites in a row
Okay and for the size it she has it listed as 3-3 1/2 inch so its not massive of course but its a decent size atm.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Yes it is. like i said before though i have a friend that i hang out with pretty often that lives close and he has id say around 10-12 T's varing in species and maturity as well. he has 4 OBT slings and hes going to raise them until they are juvies and then he is going to actually give me one of them.
Bad choice for a first T.

But here is how I house Haplos. This enclosure houses a lividum. 20170515_222050.jpg 20170515_222104.jpg 20170515_222118.jpg
It's just a cereal container and about 10 inches of moist substrate..

Feed it crickets 2-3 a week and keep it room temp..74-80F are safe parameters.

I understand you have a buddy that will help you out but read some bite reports before you settle on this species.

THExMETAL666

Arachnopeon
Thank you guys for the feed back and info i was honestly kind of not wanting to join these forums because i didnt really know how well the info and feed back and stuff i got would help me. if you guys have any further info for me please inbox me i have to get back to work now thanks all.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Okay and for the size it she has it listed as 3-3 1/2 inch so its not massive of course but its a decent size atm.
It's up to you. IMO you are adult enough (according to your profile, of course), on my book, for decide. Keep in mind what I've said, be careful, end.

THExMETAL666

Arachnopeon

But here is how I house Haplos. This enclosure houses a lividum. View attachment 240405 View attachment 240406 View attachment 240407

Feed them crickets and keep them room temp 74-80F are safe parameters.

I understand you have a buddy that will help you out but read some bite reports before you settle on this species.
i have ive also personally seen bites i work at a hospital and guy came in with his cobalt(dead) because it bit him and he paniced and smashed it as a reaction. so i know what it can do as far as bites go but again thanks for all of your help if youve got anything else for me inbox me ill get back to you soon.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Get an enclosure like mentioned above and then put it somewhere a small child can't get to. I don't know the age of your child but if its young enough that your thinking of a lock, your best bet is to put it where the child can't get to it. The real issue of these bites isn't always the immediate reaction but the close to two weeks of muscle spasms.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod

But here is how I house Haplos. This enclosure houses a lividum. View attachment 240405 View attachment 240406 View attachment 240407

Feed it crickets 2-3 a week and keep it room temp..74-80F are safe parameters.

You know my man, ah ah... a thing I love about the U.S (and that I have noticed in person when I lived there) is that everything is so big.

If you didn't mentioned that is a cereal container my guess was (no offence, eh) a kinda home trashcan modified :angelic:

Because we doesn't have here cereal containers bigger enough for suit 10 inches of substrate, sadly, otherwise I would had used those asap :pompous:

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Follow @14pokies setup, and you'll be good.

However, I'm going to highly recommend not getting this as a first T simply because of the pet hole factor. Nearly all T's are "boring", which is off putting to some beginners, but a T that's hardly ever even seen is even more off putting. These guys are also known for being extremely nasty T's. Not knocking your friends experience at all, but there's a MASSIVE difference between a 3.5" lividum and a couple OBT slings. So just take that into consideration if your friend doesn't have any bigger OW's.

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Crazy, Fast, Nocturnal, Aggressive and beautiful this spider is exciting.
Late night or very early morning hours a good time to observe them.
They really burrow so just like the other folks say, deep substrate.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Follow @14pokies setup, and you'll be good.

However, I'm going to highly recommend not getting this as a first T simply because of the pet hole factor. Nearly all T's are "boring", which is off putting to some beginners, but a T that's hardly ever even seen is even more off putting.
Thanks..

I agree even for Haplos they are very reclusive.. The only time you see them is when you rehouse them..