Cobalt Blue

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
You will regret getting a skittish, defensive obligate burrower as your first T. If you want a pretty blue T, get an Avic. I can personally recommend A. metallica. Or if you prefer a terrestrial T, C. cyaoneopubescens.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Crazy, Fast, Nocturnal, Aggressive and beautiful this spider is exciting.
Late night or very early morning hours a good time to observe them.
They really burrow so just like the other folks say, deep substrate.
I'll trade you because I never see mine.. I know she comes out because she flips the water dish over like a final kiss my :mooning: I was out but you missed me stupid! :mad:

Jason B

Arachnosquire
I've only had one haplo and it was a lividum and I only bought it because i walked into a pet story and seen it sitting in a small size kritter keeper with enough substrate you couldn't see the bottom of the enclosure but not enough that it could even cover a leg, even though it was my first old world pet hole and i had a decent amount of experience with Pokies. I knew enough about the species to know its basic care and their attitude. When I told the lady I wanted it, her response was you'll have to pack it yourself I won't even open that demons cage. Apparently when she was unpacking it flew out of its container down to the floor and went right into a threat display. I actually packed it up relatively easy and went into its temporary home with ease. It wasn't until I decided to give it more sub... its temp home only had enough sub for 6 inches. I attempted the flood method and as is my luck in such things I got nothing. So i spent a while on my knees in my bathroom looking for this t i only bought cause I felt bad for it in mud. After a while I found the clump on mud that bit my tongs I was using to sort through the mud. Got a cetch cup and put it in its new enclosure with about 12 inches of sub.. and Never saw it again for about 6 months. And trust me I tried, I'm a night owl, on my days off its not uncommon for me to find myself still awake at 5 am. This provides me with plenty of chances to get a glimpse of my nocturnal animals. The only reason I knew it was still alive was cause there was a bolus after feeding it.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I've only had one haplo and it was a lividum and I only bought it because i walked into a pet story and seen it sitting in a small size kritter keeper with enough substrate you couldn't see the bottom of the enclosure but not enough that it could even cover a leg, even though it was my first old world pet hole and i had a decent amount of experience with Pokies. I knew enough about the species to know its basic care and their attitude. When I told the lady I wanted it, her response was you'll have to pack it yourself I won't even open that demons cage. Apparently when she was unpacking it flew out of its container down to the floor and went right into a threat display. I actually packed it up relatively easy and went into its temporary home with ease. It wasn't until I decided to give it more sub... its temp home only had enough sub for 6 inches. I attempted the flood method and as is my luck in such things I got nothing. So i spent a while on my knees in my bathroom looking for this t i only bought cause I felt bad for it in mud. After a while I found the clump on mud that bit my tongs I was using to sort through the mud. Got a cetch cup and put it in its new enclosure with about 12 inches of sub.. and Never saw it again for about 6 months. And trust me I tried, I'm a night owl, on my days off its not uncommon for me to find myself still awake at 5 am. This provides me with plenty of chances to get a glimpse of my nocturnal animals. The only reason I knew it was still alive was cause there was a bolus after feeding it.
I kept my lividus girl in a tall sterilite stowaways plastic storage tub. Gave her about 8-10 inches of substrate. In the three years I had her, I saw her 6 times. Each time I was greeted with a threat posture. She's cute.

THExMETAL666

Arachnopeon
Follow @14pokies setup, and you'll be good.

However, I'm going to highly recommend not getting this as a first T simply because of the pet hole factor. Nearly all T's are "boring", which is off putting to some beginners, but a T that's hardly ever even seen is even more off putting. These guys are also known for being extremely nasty T's. Not knocking your friends experience at all, but there's a MASSIVE difference between a 3.5" lividum and a couple OBT slings. So just take that into consideration if your friend doesn't have any bigger OW's.
He has more then just slings he has 2 full grown. A male and female hes getting ready to mate them. Then he has several other species. My personal favorite in his collection is his suntiger. So he knows what hes doing. Not knocking you or anything. I trust his judgement hes being doing it since he was young because his brother did it before he did.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
They are super cool spiders no question about it, but it's amongst the least visible Ts out there. Would be a better option for someone who has a large collection, and doesn't mind not seeing there T for six months, as they have others to tend to.

As a a first time keeper wouldn't you want something you can closely monitor? You may never see the lividus eat, and feeding time is one of the funnest aspects of this hobby.

Get yourself a terrestrial that stays out in the open, and you will have a much more entertaining pet. C.lividus is not the ideal first T to experience, it's super defensive, has a nasty bite and doesn't do much other then hide. There are so many better alternatives.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey guys ive recently been eye balling this little cobalt blue female that jamie has on her webpage at jamiestarantulas.com if anyone could throw me a tip or two on care for them or even suggestions on starter T's that'd be awsome

This is not a starter T. If you are new, that Old World T would be much better off in someone else's hands than your own.

G. pulchripes is a great starter T and gets a good size too.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Your friend could be the leading scientist studying this species and i would still not recommend it. Or an OBT for that matter. Mostly because, he may be willing to help you, but he wont be there 24/7 making sure you don't goof. If you do, that thing could bolt out and up your arm. If youre lucky. It could escape the room youre in and suddenly youve got a house full of people at risk to a very nasty bite. Unless you live with him, you cant just assume success based on HIS experience. All you have to do is blink and everything could hit the fan, and i doubt he'll be able to get there in time to fix it. But you're gonna do what you're gonna do. All i can do is say it wouldnt be wise.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I've seriously never heard anything but bad experiences from keepers regarding this species. I'll probably still get one, because you've gotta have some pet holes, but I wouldn't be surprised if I changed my mind later.