Cobalt Blue unsure if she's eating?

RoachGirl

Arachnopeon
Hi, Im new to these boards and pretty new to the tarantula hobby. My boyfriend and I have had our cobalt blue for maybe a month or so now. I haven't really seen her eat and this worries me. We have as much peat in her habitat as our Vietnamese Tiger (Who is burrowing and eating well) but she seems to enjoy staying under a log hide away and web up both sides and I haven't seen her trying to burrow. Im just wondering am I maybe just not seeing her eat because she's more active when Im asleep or is it possible shes getting ready to molt? As for activity she's still pretty active. Doesn't seem lethargic. She's out of her hiding place today and seems alright. We gave her a cricket yesterday, but I know she didnt eat that one because it's now just laying dead in her tank and I will be taking it out here in a second. Thanks for any info and tips.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The standard rule of thumb is if you are putting crickets in the enclosure and they disappear, your spider is eating.

RoachGirl

Arachnopeon
Thanks. And yeah I figured as much, but was afraid the crickets were being crafty and hiding under her water dish or something. lol

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks. And yeah I figured as much, but was afraid the crickets were being crafty and hiding under her water dish or something. lol
I have a set of 12" tongs that I use, and they're more than handy when it comes to my H. lividum's enclosure. If you're really concerned about crafty crickets (nice alliteration there), I'd recommend making a habit of moving the water dish and looking for them if you're not sure if they've succumbed to their ultimate fate of being spider food.