Cobalt Blue not burrowing

Loaf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I recently rehoused my H lividium into a bigger tank. Before it had dug itself a nice little burrow and i was never able to see it. Since i have moved it, it has not even attempted to burrow, but has pretty much put a thin layer of webbing on the substrate and on some of the walls. Did i do something wrong? It seems to be pretty healthy, and aggressive, and has eaten just fine. For some reason, it has lost it's desire to burrow! Help! :? :)

Last edited:

darkness_falls8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey Loaf,
That's normal behaviour for a H.Lividum after being rehoused. Mine just started burrowing a few days ago, it took it 3 months to finally make a burrow! but yeah, just don't disturb it much and soon i'm sure once she's settled in she'll make a nice burrow.

Check out this thread I made awhile ago about H.Lividums not burrowing. There's some good info in there from people who replied.

Last edited:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I made my H. lividium a small pseudoburrow out of a plastic juice container and chased her inside. She's since webbed up the entrance and blocked it off. The fact she was in postmoult probably didn't help.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I recently rehoused my H lividium into a bigger tank. Before it had dug itself a nice little burrow and i was never able to see it. Since i have moved it, it has not even attempted to burrow, but has pretty much put a thin layer of webbing on the substrate and on some of the walls. Did i do something wrong? It seems to be pretty healthy, and aggressive, and has eaten just fine. For some reason, it has lost it's desire to burrow! Help! :? :)
There is nothing wrong with your Haplopelma lividum. In fact, from what I'm reading in your above post it seems to feel secure in it's new home. Think of it as a big burrow. I hope that helps.

Brian

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Loaf,
That's normal behaviour for a H.Lividum after being rehoused. Mine just started burrowing a few days ago, it took it 3 months to finally make a burrow! but yeah, just don't disturb it much and soon i'm sure once she's settled in she'll make a nice burrow.

Check out this thread I made awhile ago about H.Lividums not burrowing. There's some good info in there from people who replied.

i agree. give it some time to settle back in. you could also pre-start a burrow for her. make it about 2-3 inches deep. it will kind of kick start her into burrowing.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
not burrowing

Your T is settling in after the move, and is webbing the part of the enclosure chosen as its hide. Nothing wrong, just let the T do its thing, and later it might start a burrow.

TheNatural

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what kind of substrate are you using? I hope its not to hard. Once a friend asked me the same question and he was using compacted earth.

Loaf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what kind of substrate are you using? I hope its not to hard. Once a friend asked me the same question and he was using compacted earth.
Im using peat, vermiculite and top soil. Pretty much equal parts. About 6 or 7 inches deep. I tamped down everything after i put it in, and mixed it up, but could I have compressed the substrate so much that it cant burrow? I don't remember pressing down too hard, but maybe I did.

Thanks for your responses everyone! :)