Cobalt Blue Love???

Melloman211

Arachnopeon
I thought these spiders were murderous with their mates... This is not the case... I tried mating my cobalt blues and the male jolted into the females burrow... I got my red light and watch the action take place then... nothing... the male stayed in the burrow with the female for 3 days and he is still there now... I am so confused. I tried to coax him out thinking it was a fluke but he went deeper next to the female and nothing... my female is perfectly healthy and full of mad energy as she slayed a large male dubia the day of the day of their marriage. This is weird... there is no aggression with these spiders... perhaps cobalt blues can also live communally or in this case "as a couple". Perhaps it is just spider love hehehe if you have any explanation or fore thought please let me hear it.

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I guess the best way to find out,
Is just to leave him in there,
And see what happens,
Also just cross your fingers and hope he doesn't turn out to be a meal...
Never heard or read anything in that nature about H. lividum...

Peace,
Armando

DemonAsh

Arachnosquire
I had a g. pulchripes do a similar thing about two years ago. Male and female just hung out under some cork bark. Retreated together when I tried to get the male out.. same kinda thing as your lividums... Fourth or fifth day, though, I come home from work :eek: I only had one fat female. Never did get a sack from her either :(

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've found that some of the notoriously mean spiders (H. lividum, P. murinus, for example) are very gentle when it comes to how females treat males.

I'm sure this isn't the case for all of them, but I've never had an issue breeding either of those species.

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I co-habbed my MF H. lividium with her MM for a month.. no signs of aggression. The male actually slept under the female. It was the same time I housed my MM P. murinus and MF together as well. The latter stuck together often, but also went their seperate ways at times.. The two H. lividium were right next to eachother 100% of the time. BTW, dont even think about trying to seperate them... they'll both go crazy trying to eat you. Sooooo when I gave my two H. lividium to BrettG, they came in the same enclosure together. Might still be together too?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I co-habbed my MF H. lividium with her MM for a month.. no signs of aggression. The male actually slept under the female. It was the same time I housed my MM P. murinus and MF together as well. The latter stuck together often, but also went their seperate ways at times.. The two H. lividium were right next to eachother 100% of the time. BTW, dont even think about trying to seperate them... they'll both go crazy trying to eat you. Sooooo when I gave my two H. lividium to BrettG, they came in the same enclosure together. Might still be together too?
Seperated em,and still no sack :( Males on his last legs though....But there was zero aggression shown between spiders. They were quite calm till I opened the lid...

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Haplopelma and Ornithoctonus are usually pretty gentle during mating.I have however seen Haplopelma males get munched before ;]
Good luck with your breeding!

-Chris

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It sometimes happens with some ts . You cant prevent it ! But always be expecting a fat female , and dont be surprised if he becomes a snack ! They usually do their justice if they are in there for a long time though :D

Deguwitchrose

Arachnopeon
I've been pleasantly surprised with my H Lividum. I was expecting to spend most of my time watching a hole in the ground but Lividia seems to think she is terrestrial the amount of time she spends on the surface. She's also very non aggressive and very tranquil for the species. Friendly even. I don't handle her because I don't believe she would get anything out of the interaction but in the six months I've had her she hasn't gone into threat once, not even when I moved her from one tank to another. Lovely creature to own - from what I've read perhaps not typical - but her nice nature has made me sceptical of the bad press these tarantulas get.

Last edited:

Akai

Arachnobaron
You should always respect the fact that your H. lividum is an old world species and treat it as such no matter how docile and sweet natured she "appears" to be.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I've been pleasantly surprised with my H Lividum. I was expecting to spend most of my time watching a hole in the ground but Lividia seems to think she is terrestrial the amount of time she spends on the surface. She's also very non aggressive and very tranquil for the species. Friendly even. I don't handle her because I don't believe she would get anything out of the interaction but in the six months I've had her she hasn't gone into threat once, not even when I moved her from one tank to another. Lovely creature to own - from what I've read perhaps not typical - but her nice nature has made me sceptical of the bad press these tarantulas get.
My lividum are always out, waiting for something to eat. They can be feisty, but it's almost always when you're doing something you shouldn't be.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My lividum is the crankiest of my collection, in fact she is crankier than the rest of my collection combined, but I love her

I leave her be of course, she only gets super mad when I have to rehouse