Cobalt blue extreme stress

FrightBamboo

Arachnopeon
Just Rehouse my Cobalt blue T, few inches of cocoa peat. And area of more than three times her leg span. (she is an 5inches legspan sub adult).

At first, she just cuddle at the side and show stressful posture, which is normal because of the rehousing.

But after 6hour, she suddenly become very active, she climb the wall but not burrowing of create net. And worst, she fall a few time, it was a small fall (when she is falling her leg still touch the ground). One of my friend say that this is what a extremely stress tarantula do. And may stress to death.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Because a rehouse isn't the best for juve and, especially, adults pet holes as you know.

My adult M.robustum took more than a month, once, for create a new, comfortable, and better burrow (I received her for free but I was forced to rehouse her ASAP because she was living into a paludarium, literally, and the inches of substrate and the enclosure, a sort of bizarre set up with aquarium rocks inside! were completely inadequate).

Obviously the climb & fall part is always annoying and a issue, but give her time, man. If the parameters are right, which I'm sure, she will burrow. IMO the soon those kind of Theraphosidae reach the final enclosure, the better :-s

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
It will burrow eventually. I've found that the haplos I've kept will usually start to burrow more quickly if I start one for them. It's not necessary, but it also let's you choose where the hole is for easier viewing and maintenance. Sometimes they won't use it though and you still have to wait.

cold blood

Staff member
A few inches of substrate for a 5" burrower....that's woefully inadequate. I'd go with at least 8-12" of substrate, 20" wouldn't be too much...the more the better, the less...well, the worse.

Time for a re-re-house perhaps.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
A few inches of substrate for a 5" burrower....that's woefully inadequate. I'd go with at least 8-12" of substrate, 20" wouldn't be too much...the more the better, the less...well, the worse.

Time for a re-re-house perhaps.
I've yet to provide too much substrate. They always, always make it to the bottom of the enclosure. 18" is the current record in my house.

trinette

Arachnopeon
Mine finally burrowed 2 days ago, after my first re-house of her, 3 months ago. I was sooooo happy and excited at finding her excavation that the whole house was woken to be told the news. They were not as happy!!!!

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Mine finally burrowed 2 days ago, after my first re-house of her, 3 months ago. I was sooooo happy and excited at finding her excavation that the whole house was woken to be told the news. They were not as happy!!!!
I wake up my girlfriend early in the morning when some of my more elusive spiders are out and about. This is one of my highlights of my day each and every day because I'm able to view some of my precious specimens. To her it is not so interesting at 4-5 am. Lol.

trinette

Arachnopeon
Not only has she burrowed.....but beautifully against her enclosure so I can see her more now than ever.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Technically there's not, save for common sense, space, money etc, a limit to the quantity of substrate you can add when it comes to obligate burrowers. If I decide to DIY a huge enclosure where I can add 40 inches of substrate, ah ah, rest assured, a P.muticus (mere example) will enjoy that. Cons is I will need Hercules for move that :-s