CO2 anesthesia for Asian forest scorp

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
I have had an Asian forest scorpion which hasn't eaten for a month even once since I got it at repticon a month ago, fine usually no problem.

Then I noticed a string or fiber wrapped around and under one leg and sticking out of her mouth (think it's female)

I think I can pull it out, but only if I can paralyze it for about maybe 2-4 minutes. I initially tried with a shallow bowl in a critter keeper and ended up with an enraged baking soda and vinegar caked scorpion!!

After giving her a bath by sloshing her around in Luke warm water and misting her for 10 minutes, I ended up with an even angrier, but spotless scorpion, none the worse for wear.

I can see that she's almost like a fish with a hook hanging out of the mouth.

Here's my 2nd future attempt at a CO2 anesthesia chamber that will keep the crud off but let the gas in. I have a heavy book that will go on top.

Any thoughts on time limits and chances of success? It's obvious that someone put food on a string and dangled it in front of the scorpion, but it can't spit out or digest the string. I feel that this might suppress the feeding reflexes.

Scorp co2 C.jpg Scorp co2 B.jpg Scorp co2 A.jpg Scorp clean4a.jpg

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
The thread in question is on the other side and under the scorpion, couldn't get a picture sadly enough. You might barely be able to see the thread here but I'm not sure.

20170213_171953.jpg

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
Well there is no easy way to go about this, if it where me I would hold the scorpion in my hand and use a pair of tongsto remove the string. But just by looking at the picture your scorpion is pretty fat. That's probably why it's not eating.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Yeah I don't know that you have to go through the whole anesthesia deal. Just get a hold of the fiber with a tweezers or tongs and pull out.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
I tried that. It only results in lifting up the entire scorpion. To get it, I have to unwrap it from the leg and then pull forward and down it looks like. For that, she needs to be on her back holding still.

Creepy Crawling Guy

Arachnopeon
CO2 might not be a good choice
>CO2 poisoning(idk if scorpion is affected by this but other animal and insect is)
>scorpion can live quite sometime without oxygen so cutting the oxygen supply might not put them in deep sleep

im new to keeping scorpion but i think putting them in hibernation will be your best chance

just my opinion tho

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
I tried that. It only results in lifting up the entire scorpion. To get it, I have to unwrap it from the leg and then pull forward and down it looks like. For that, she needs to be on her back holding still.
Put it in a plastic container with holes in the bottom, put some soft paper on top of the scorpion, only enough to gently press It against the bottom, when you close the lid. Turn the container upside down. And get the string.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
CO2 might not be a good choice
>CO2 poisoning(idk if scorpion is affected by this but other animal and insect is)
>scorpion can live quite sometime without oxygen so cutting the oxygen supply might not put them in deep sleep

im new to keeping scorpion but i think putting them in hibernation will be your best chance

just my opinion tho

What temperature range is needed for that? Are they safe as long as its above freezing?

It's going to be 40-45 degrees tonight. If that range is good, I could just put the critter keeper on the deck for an hour.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Scorp foreign object2.jpg Scorp foreign object1.jpg Here's 2 pictures of the offending object. In the end, temperature seemed simpler because it was the perfect one right outside.

People can be such evil SOBs!! She sluggishly went into her coconut hiding place and is sulking there as I type this. The cage temperature is 70 degrees and climbing. The condo is about 66 degrees as per girlfriend's requirements. The heat lamp and pad normally keep the enclosure at 80-85 degrees.

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Success!!

Thanks for hibernation suggestion. It was night and exactly 50 degrees out. I put her outside for 1 hour with thermometer and it got to 50.

I got her by the tail and pulled the string from hell out, unwrapped the leg, down and out. She straightened all limbs, assisting the process--yippee!!

She's back to the warm, 80 degrees in the cage.

I realized that I couldn't get in as much substrate in as suggested, but could add another 2 inches to the one inch there. Best of all, I didn't have to move her outside again. Using a spatula, I nudged her to one side and dumped eco-earth into the other side. I stirred it up and patted it down. Then I did the other half, repeating the process twice more.

She's currently sulking beside the wood piece, probably will head back to the heater later. I gently misted her off, which she seems to like. If I spray beside her, she'll run underneath quickly like clockwork.

Here she is, none the worse for the trouble. Scorp 2 inches sub1.jpg Scorp 2 inches sub2.jpg Scorp 2 inches sub3.jpg

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
Any updates on how she's doing?
Poor thing people don't think these things out before they offer an animal as shall we say as dim as a scorpion food on a string.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
I finally got the scorplings eating. The problem is making sure that they all get a chance. The first time I did small mealworms. The second time I did mini mealworms. Since there are many more of the minis, all should be able in theory to get something.

Their bellies are fatter and the mealworms have basically vanished except for a few diehards hiding under the water dishes.

I keep very shallow substrate so that when the mealworms move, the scorplings can feel them move and dig after them.

It seems to be working out well, but soon I'll have to pick out the pieces of meal and shells etc.

Scorplings can run up the corners inside the cage and one was on the screen Blacklight scorplings1.jpg Blacklight scorp2.jpg when I took it off. Fortunately enough, I put it over the cage and tapped it in without incident.

I've since added a large shallow water dish with a stick to escape. They love it and the moisture should help when they molt.

Also, here's mama.