Clover leaf weevils care?

Snailientologist

Arachnosquire
I've been finding clover leaf weevils (Hypera zoilus) in nearby fields and find them to be very interesting. The ones I've found have been rather easy to handle because they never bite or fly. Are they even capable of either? Regardless, they seem like cute and reasonable pets if anyone has any ideas how to keep them. There have been threads about the acorn weevil on this site, but I can't find anything about these guys. I have looked for any sort of articles about captive rearing, but to no avail. I placed one in a jar with some clover to see if it would go for the leaves even if they were not attached. I didn't see any feeding behavior, but I saw several holes in the leaves that may have been evidence of such. I saw no decline in its activity levels for several weeks, but ultimately let it go because I stopped seeing new holes in the clover. I know that most weevils have a rather short lifespan as adults, but even the larvae of these, while often hidden, are very cute. They are bright green and may even appeal to people who are put off by the creamy white color of most beetle larvae. I would love to try and keep or even breed them, and was hoping for some help in finding any knowledge on them in captivity.

Edward

Arachnopeon
Did you provide moist substrate of rooted plants in your setup for them? I had a weevil issue with several plants and they lived by laying eggs in the soil while eating roots and emerged at night to eat leaves and stems. They definitely survived in "captivity" if you want to call my former weevil problem that haha. Holes in the leaves are definitely signs of it eating. I'd be happy to study more about weevils and try to help because the idea of someone rearing them fascinates me.

This thread: shows evidence of someone successfully raising local millipedes in captivity. Signs that you may do the same with Weevils by following the methodology they followed for finding the right conditions (despite it being another species, focus on how they came to their conclusions).
This thread: you may have seen discusses raising acorn weevils in captivity.

Could you provide pics of what you tried to rear them in? Weevils are generally hardy and quick at reproduction making them an excellent pest that's hard to eradicate. I bet we could get a colony of your weevils running if we figured out how to replicate the conditions or otherwise provide optimal conditions.

Snailientologist

Arachnosquire
Thank you so much for your insights. It have been unable to find them in my most recent searches, likely owing to the drastic decreases in temperature. However, I will definitely apply your suggestions next year if I can.

Edward

Arachnopeon
What country and/or state or locale are you in? If they are gone for now, try early spring through summer. You may have a chance of finding them now. I don't know much about weevils, but my guess would be that they would lay eggs before either dying or hibernating for the winter. Given most species have a short lifespan, I would guess they've laid their eggs and passed by now. (I am no weevil expert so if someone can correct me please do)

Best of luck finding them when you look again!