Closed burrow birth

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So, I just discovered that one of my L. quinquestriatus habreus(spelling?) popped. It would have been awile ago as only one baby remains on her back and I can see others hanging from the ceiling of the burrow, wich is completely closed off.

What I need to know is how long should I expect untill she either digs an entrance or they dig out by themselves?
Generally I wouldn't worry about it but I want to avoid losing any to cannabalism and I've never had a scorp give birth in a closed burrow before.
Should I maybe take a stick and poke a small hole in, one just big enouph for a baby scorp to climb out of or wait?

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some Vaejovis sp. do that also. I just remove the hide and seperated them at I2. You may have to dig carefully, after your done, leave everything in case any more want to pop out. Don't go fishing around in that sand with yours hands though from now on. :)

Ed

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Heh, I would never stick my hands in that cage ;), I don't want to mess anything in the cage up either. I was just wondering if I should leave it completely alone or if it wouldn't hurt to just poke a little hole/tunnel about 1/4" diameter so the young can leave the burrow if they want? What do you think?

BadBikaDamo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know if you have access to he back of the hide, but when my scorps close of their hides and give birth, I indent a small trough and dig a tiny bit of access into the hide from the back. Then I cut up some pray and place it in the indented trough so that the scorps can drag it into the hide without exposing themselves. I think most will agree that well fed scorps are less likely to cannibalise.

Damo