Close to making a first purchase and wanted to ask something

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Ah cool. I guess the main thing is to not breed if not sure. I mean I've read that Vagans and Sabulosum are very hard/impossible to find pure in the hobby anyway, so maybe not worth sweating it too much if not breeding?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Ah cool. I guess the main thing is to not breed if not sure. I mean I've read that Vagans and Sabulosum are very hard/impossible to find pure in the hobby anyway, so maybe not worth sweating it too much if not breeding?
you are correct!
I think since you are literally just starting out, you really should not be concerned with breeding. If you get them just enjoy keeping them as your pets.

mjzheng

Arachnosquire
You're crossing a little too much into dog lover territory hehe . With the breeder questions, tarantulas are much simpler. We just try to not support horrible practice

Don't overcomplicate too much. Excited for you to join hobby! Hope you come home with two beautiful spiders today!

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Thank you! Think I may just go with one, probably the smaller. Though half considering both for the increased chance of a female, though my wife thinks I'd end up more disappointed if they were both male than if I had one that turned out male. Dunno whether she's right, but I suppose one gives me slightly more flexibility to do what I want in future.

Job done! Went with the smaller one. Just got it home - attached a few pics. Tried giving it a locust but not interested - from the abdomen size I'm guessing it's fairly full.

Wasn't sure about the bigger pieces in the substrate but they seemed to think it was fine and really did seem to know their stuff and care about their animals, plus the owner keeps them herself. Think when I move it to a new enclosure I may make it less cluttered though, while obviously still giving it a hide.

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Job done! Went with the smaller one. Just got it home - attached a few pics. Tried giving it a locust but not interested - from the abdomen size I'm guessing it's fairly full.

Wasn't sure about the bigger pieces in the substrate but they seemed to think it was fine and really did seem to know their stuff and care about their animals, plus the owner keeps them herself. Think when I move it to a new enclosure I may make it less cluttered though, while obviously still giving it a hide.
Congrats!! Officially welcome to the hobby!!

also in the water bowl....are those gel crystals or rocks, or what is it? if it’s anything besides just water, just replace it for just water.

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Congrats!! Officially welcome to the hobby!!

also in the water bowl....are those gel crystals or rocks, or what is it? if it’s anything besides just water, just replace it for just water.
Thank you! It's gel - apparently required in the shops because just water evaporates too quickly. I was planning to swap it out for water; sadly they didn't have any squirters in stock and looking for them online is just bringing up loads of Spider-Man water pistols. :lol: Sure I'll find something. I guess it would be good to get something which can switch between a stream (for the bowl) or a mist (for the subtstrate).

edit: found just the thing on Amazon

Ian14

Arachnobaron
The substrate doesn't need to be sprayed. Just pour water into the bowl and let ot overflow slightly.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
I just use a plastic cup to fill my water bowls. Nothing fancy at all.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Turkey basters also work really well for moistening substrate and refilling water dishes, that way you don't need to put your hands inside the enclosure.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Turkey basters also work really well for moistening substrate and refilling water dishes, that way you don't need to put your hands inside the enclosure.
True! I forgot that. I stuff it down in the corners for my moisture dependent ones so it gets down to the bottom layers.

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Does it have enough substrate? Wondering if it has sufficient opportunity for burrowing. There is a bit of hollow bark for a hide, which it has used, and a good bit of that moss stuff, so I think it should be covered but just wondering.

Also how much ventilation do they truly need? There are cracks in the corners of the glass top (two, each maybe about 2x4mm). It's possible more gets in elsewhere along the top as it's not fastened down (lid's way too heavy for the spider to move). Lady in the shop (experienced keeper) said it was enough; I'm not in a position to contradict, but it looks insufficient to my untrained eye. It's hard to get a decent illustrative photo, sadly. My feeling right now is, even if I'm right, it might do until it moves to a new home in a couple of months, especially as I'm taking the top off a fair bit anyway.

Attachments

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Does it have enough substrate? Wondering if it has sufficient opportunity for burrowing. There is a bit of hollow bark for a hide, which it has used, and a good bit of that moss stuff, so I think it should be covered but just wondering.
Double the substrate pretty much, I'd say fill about half of the tank with it. Maybe a smidge more.

Also how much ventilation do they truly need? There are cracks in the corners of the glass top (two, each maybe about 2x4mm). It's possible more gets in elsewhere along the top as it's not fastened down (lid's way too heavy for the spider to move). Lady in the shop (experienced keeper) said it was enough; I'm not in a position to contradict, but it looks insufficient to my untrained eye. It's hard to get a decent illustrative photo, sadly. My feeling right now is, even if I'm right, it might do until it moves to a new home in a couple of months, especially as I'm taking the top off a fair bit anyway.
Go to a big box hardware store and buy a small sheet of acrylic, thick enough to be sturdy. I'd say as thick as you can get to maximize weight, keeping the lid in place.
Also buy a cutter for it. Measure the inside rim dimensions, and cut it to size. Then you make holes in it, using either a drill or soldering iron. This is how a lot of people add ventilation to aquariums.

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Double the substrate pretty much, I'd say fill about half of the tank with it. Maybe a smidge more.

Go to a big box hardware store and buy a small sheet of acrylic, thick enough to be sturdy. I'd say as thick as you can get to maximize weight, keeping the lid in place.
Also buy a cutter for it. Measure the inside rim dimensions, and cut it to size. Then you make holes in it, using either a drill or soldering iron. This is how a lot of people add ventilation to aquariums.
Thanks - that's great practical advice. Are those two things urgent, do you think, or could it be OK to solve when transferring? It isn't getting zero air or anything, and they do seem to know their stuff and successfully keep spiders that way. I definitely want to do what's good for it, but it may be tricky to get to a hardware store in the current situation, and they are pretty adaptable at the end of the day, so if it's matter of optimal rather than essential, I may wait the month or two or whatever it is until I rehouse it (or even accelerate that).

Ian14

Arachnobaron
Given that the tank is from Custom Aquaria, and the paperwork in one of the images I'm fairly confident you are in the UK?
If so, you have plenty of options.
Shops such as B and M and The Range are open and sell plastic storage containers with secure lids. The Range also sell pet stuff such as Faunariums that would be very suitable. Pet shops are also open, then there is Amazon and the plethora of exotic shops that sell online.
There is also The Spider Shop that sell enclosures too.
You definitely need a deeper enclosure to put a deeper layer of substrate in.

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Given that the tank is from Custom Aquaria, and the paperwork in one of the images I'm fairly confident you are in the UK?
If so, you have plenty of options.
Shops such as B and M and The Range are open and sell plastic storage containers with secure lids. The Range also sell pet stuff such as Faunariums that would be very suitable. Pet shops are also open, then there is Amazon and the plethora of exotic shops that sell online.
There is also The Spider Shop that sell enclosures too.
You definitely need a deeper enclosure to put a deeper layer of substrate in.
OK, thank you. Got it and have just been looking. I just did a rough measurement of the spider and it's about 2 inches/5cm. Based on suggested rules of thumb I've read, it seems the current enclosure (20cm long, 10 wide, 10 deep) is ok length and widthwise, but not, as you say, depthwise. And yes the substrate looks too thin even to my eyes. So maybe looking at a a 20cm long, 10 wide, 20 deep enclosure?

The Exo Terras look nice and all but I'm really not sure I like the idea of front-opening. I would like to be able to see the spider well, though. Would something like this (about two thirds filled with substrate) be a good quality choice, or a touch too big? Any other recommendations particularly at that size, where you would get a decent view?

Last edited:

Ian14

Arachnobaron
The problem with exo terras is the lid. The mesh needs to be replaced with perspex with drilled air holes.
A Giga Box or similar would be fine.
About £10 from Amazon or online dealers.

TheHound

Arachnoknight
The problem with exo terras is the lid. The mesh needs to be replaced with perspex with drilled air holes.
A Giga Box or similar would be fine.
About £10 from Amazon or online dealers.
They look reasonable but seem like they might not have the best view of the spider? I assume the mesh issue on the ETs is to do with protecting the spider's legs. Seems very bizarre that a bespoke spider enclosure would have that fundamental design flaw!

What about this. Maybe a touch bigger than ideal but not excessively so. What size coco fibre brick would I need to fill one about 2 thirds, do you think?

Never mind - plan made. Tank, substrate and new hide bought. I feel much better now. Thank you for the nudge and the help. Everyone in the thread. Most appreciated.

Last edited:

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Never mind - plan made. Tank, substrate and new hide bought. I feel much better now. Thank you for the nudge and the help. Everyone in the thread. Most appreciated.
Welcome to the boards for sure and the hobby hopefully.

Well you're lucky being in the UK. From what I understand tarantulas are cheaper there than here in the U.S. Something I'm envy about.

Anyways many members gave you advice and the community will help you with whatever we can.

Did you make your mind up with which tarantula you will buy?

If you do buy a T. vagans I can give you my personal experience with them. Mine is a 4.5 inch dls male and he's a nutbag.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
They look reasonable but seem like they might not have the best view of the spider? I assume the mesh issue on the ETs is to do with protecting the spider's legs. Seems very bizarre that a bespoke spider enclosure would have that fundamental design flaw!

What about this. Maybe a touch bigger than ideal but not excessively so. What size coco fibre brick would I need to fill one about 2 thirds, do you think?

Exo terras are not bespoke tarantula enclosures, they are designed for herps. The issue is that the tarsal claws get trapped in the mesh.

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Exo terras are not bespoke tarantula enclosures, they are designed for herps. The issue is that the tarsal claws get trapped in the mesh.
My mistake on the herp thing. I knew about the leg hazard. Hear they can sometimes chew through too.

Welcome to the boards for sure and the hobby hopefully.

Well you're lucky being in the UK. From what I understand tarantulas are cheaper there than here in the U.S. Something I'm envy about.

Anyways many members gave you advice and the community will help you with whatever we can.

Did you make your mind up with which tarantula you will buy?

If you do buy a T. vagans I can give you my personal experience with them. Mine is a 4.5 inch dls male and he's a nutbag.
Thank you for the welcome. Yes, this seems a great and helpful community. It's clear spider owners are very passionate about the hobby. I bought a Ttlitsocatl sabulosum earlier today - there are a couple of pics on one of my posts a little back. She's a little beaut. I've heard some vagans and sabulosum can be defensive, but mine's very chilled so far. I like the nutbag descriptor, though! :D

I don't know much about tarantula prices by country, but hey, you guys have them native, which is pretty cool. Albeit your country is large enough that that's probably meaningless to most!