Close call

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
this afternoon I have spent most of my time on spider forums and websites and usually I go back and forth checking on my spiders. I didn't want to bother them too much so I left them alone..Then a few minutes ago I went back in there to check on them and my N. Vulpinus is hard to see through the tub because its camoflauged with the substrate. So I opened it up and low and behold my N. Vulpinus slipped through the tub top and the side of the tub this made my hear race because one I have havent been bit yet and don't want to, second if I didn't catch him when I did (because this little guy is fast) he would have got lost in that room and he is small enough to slip under the door without a problem. Thank god for a catch up and critter keeper I had close by. So now I neeed some important information is my N. Vulpinus a terresterial? semi-aboreal? aboreal? I ask this not only because of my close call but also because since he is been in the critter keeper he has stayed near the top of the lid. I want to house him properly so he doesnt get out....

Last edited:

stk5m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i had a singapore blue escape on me eariler. quick as lightning. got my heart going good too. good to hear you caught it

ironmonkey78

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
havent had any of my blues take off on me yet. still slings so run and hide is pretty much all they think about. glad to hear you got it back with no major troubles.

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yay! So glad to hear you caught it! My heart would be crushed if I lost my baby Pokie!

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Congrats on the recapture. Well, it makes sure you know now that they can and will get out, I've been super careful ever since my first escape. Mine, however, was a GBB.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow ya its crazy when spiders try to escape.

I believe N. Vulpinus is a Terrestrial. Probably just climbing cause its settling in, how long have you had it?

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
n. vulpinus is a terrestrial. maybe yours hangs out at the top because your substrate is too wet (half of it moist is enough) or because it has not settled in yet. try not to disturb it again until it is settled.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks to everyone for your help and responses. Many people that I have talked to since this has happen said its probably near the top because its new and trying to get settled in. I have had it since tuesday so about two days. After, this incident happened, this morning i rehoused it into a 20 gallon tank with two hides and a shallow water bowl. and the screen lid is a slide locking lid so I make sure it is ALWAYS locked. so he should be fine. Any more questions / comments are greatly appreciated.{D

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A 20 gallon tank is awfully large for any tarantula. It may have a hard time finding prey in a tank that size. You might want to start looking at Kritter Keepers; they are cheaper than aquarium tanks and come in sizes to suit many different tarantulas.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks to everyone for your help and responses. Many people that I have talked to since this has happen said its probably near the top because its new and trying to get settled in. I have had it since tuesday so about two days. After, this incident happened, this morning i rehoused it into a 20 gallon tank with two hides and a shallow water bowl. and the screen lid is a slide locking lid so I make sure it is ALWAYS locked. so he should be fine. Any more questions / comments are greatly appreciated.{D
Yea, 20 is way too large for any T. A Kritter Keeper or a sterlite bin would be ideal.