Close Call

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Last night it dropped down to about 10 degrees F outside. And in the middle of the night, the power went out. It got so cold that I found 2 of my slings in a partial death curl. The power company didn't get things running again for a while. Thankfully all of my 18 tarantulas managed to pull through, even those 2 tiny slings and an elderly MM. It was extremely stressful to have this happen. Where I used to live, I never had this problem because of the warm climate. Now I know better...that I need to be prepared in case something like this happens again. For those of you that live in cold climates or live in areas with potential natural disasters, what are some things that you do to prepare in case the power goes out or you need to evacuate? I'm definitely don't want to go through this again.

Arachnoenthusiast

Arachnoknight
I have invested in insulation for my house so it holds heat as well as possible. And just recently acquired a generator so I can run space heaters if needed. I had a scare similar at the end of last winter. We are set to get to around -20f tonight so I'm crossing my fingers nothing happens

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
I have invested in insulation for my house so it holds heat as well as possible. And just recently acquired a generator so I can run space heaters if needed. I had a scare similar at the end of last winter. We are set to get to around -20f tonight so I'm crossing my fingers nothing happens
What’s the coldest temperature t’s can stay long periods of time in? Or should I say long periods of time AND stay healthy/safe.

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Depends on the species. Some live in habitats that get snow during winter.

Atraxrobustus86

Arachnopeon
Depends on the species. Some live in habitats that get snow during winter.
I live in the northern most range of the Aphonopelma chalcodes, and they can survive frost but not a lot of it. If it doesn't melt fast they die. I have rescued and released quite a few near death.

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Yes, some species who live at high altitudes, especially in Chile, do live in areas where they experience snow. However, they are never subjected to long term cold temperatures. In mountainous areas, the temperatures will rise during the day to give the wildlife a break from the colder temperatures. They are not enduring temperatures below freezing, or enduring the colder temperatures for long periods.