Clogged vent on A.Gigas? Help!

yukeeiy

Arachnopeon
Hello there

First time using this forum so i hope ive done it right...
I bought an a.gigas today as the pet shop was closing, and was sort of rushed out so i didnt inspect her. (Maybe this is karma for feeling bad for the animals and buying one?)

Her "flaps" or vent are basically permanently stuck open, and shes gotten more and more lethargic since i bought her home. They were being kept with no substrate and no hide,I dont know what the substrate was but I'm pretty sure it was coir/coconut fibre?

Ive included pics, but I cant find anyone talking about this. My bf is ringing the store tomorrow to maybe return her, but obviously I dont want her to die :(

Any ideas?
I've tried gently soaking her last segments in lukewarm water and very gently rubbing with a soft toothbrush but no luck. she hasnt eaten or pooped on me since I got her, but she has been scared, and her vent opens as if she wants to. (My other a.gigas and my t.aoutii have no problems, i separated her into another bin just in case?)
13880EB1-5428-493B-8BC8-369F9FB56D28.jpeg

Attachments

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Hello there

First time using this forum so i hope ive done it right...
I bought an a.gigas today as the pet shop was closing, and was sort of rushed out so i didnt inspect her. (Maybe this is karma for feeling bad for the animals and buying one?)

Her "flaps" or vent are basically permanently stuck open, and shes gotten more and more lethargic since i bought her home. They were being kept with no substrate and no hide,I dont know what the substrate was but I'm pretty sure it was coir/coconut fibre?

Ive included pics, but I cant find anyone talking about this. My bf is ringing the store tomorrow to maybe return her, but obviously I dont want her to die :(

Any ideas?
I've tried gently soaking her last segments in lukewarm water and very gently rubbing with a soft toothbrush but no luck. she hasnt eaten or pooped on me since I got her, but she has been scared, and her vent opens as if she wants to. (My other a.gigas and my t.aoutii have no problems, i separated her into another bin just in case?)
View attachment 377560
I don't care if I eat a ban or warning from the mods for this reply, but ffffffuuuuck that petstore. I can't believe people can sleep knowing they have that in their shop. Tell them they can eat my BUTT. Not sure what is going on if it is an impaction or viral or fungal. Surely some Myriapod nerd can get in on this. Keep it in normal environment until you know what's going on. Good on you to separate for isolation.

yukeeiy

Arachnopeon
I don't care if I eat a ban or warning from the mods for this reply, but ffffffuuuuck that petstore. I can't believe people can sleep knowing they have that in their shop. Tell them they can eat my BUTT. Not sure what is going on if it is an impaction or viral or fungal. Surely some Myriapod nerd can get in on this. Keep it in normal environment until you know what's going on. Good on you to separate for isolation.
I know, its what I get for even going in and feeling bad. Obviously I don't want to return her back but i'd rather use my money to support a good shop instead :( poor little thing, shes so friendly too. I dont know whats going on either :<

Sterls

Arachnobaron
I'm not sure what it is either, but I'm sceptical that it's actually an A gigas. IIRC exports stopped some time ago and they seem somewhat rare nowadays. I can't recall the other species that are falsely sold as such, but just so you're aware (for both this one and potentially your other depending on where you got it). Unless it was illegally poached somehow I doubt a small shop would have one, let alone a large one.

Best of luck to the pede. I hope you can help it.

yukeeiy

Arachnopeon
I'm not sure what it is either, but I'm sceptical that it's actually an A gigas. IIRC exports stopped some time ago and they seem somewhat rare nowadays. I can't recall the other species that are falsely sold as such, but just so you're aware (for both this one and potentially your other depending on where you got it). Unless it was illegally poached somehow I doubt a small shop would have one, let alone a large one.

Best of luck to the pede. I hope you can help it.
I cant be 100% sure, but i live in the UK and got my other a.gigas from an online seller who seems to know his stuff and hes very healthy, and they look pretty similar -- this could be a giant matt black millipede or another large species, but it is the UK so if it was illegal poaching I wouldn't be surprised. It was sold under "Giant African Train" which I believe is the common name for a.gigas?

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Worst case, last resort if it is clearly suffering and no one here has info and it is clearly not improving my suggestion is to put it in the freezer. They don't feel the cold pain like us. It just makes them lethargic. Then they shut down. Kind of like anesthesia for us except not waking up. I mean, some people don't. Beats any and all painful suffering.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
I cant be 100% sure, but i live in the UK and got my other a.gigas from an online seller who seems to know his stuff and hes very healthy, and they look pretty similar -- this could be a giant matt black millipede or another large species, but it is the UK so if it was illegal poaching I wouldn't be surprised. It was sold under "Giant African Train" which I believe is the common name for a.gigas?
Run all your courses and decisions. You are it's advocate. You alone decide what to do.

yukeeiy

Arachnopeon
Run all your courses and decisions. You are it's advocate. You alone decide what to do.
If the petstore takes her back, i assume they will do that, which is sad but without being able to toilet i dont think she'll last much longer. This hobby is so depressing sometimes :(

thanks for your help anyway, Ill update the thread as we will be deciding tomorrow - its not fun watching her suffer at all !

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
If the petstore takes her back, i assume they will do that, which is sad but without being able to toilet i dont think she'll last much longer. This hobby is so depressing sometimes :(

thanks for your help anyway, Ill update the thread as we will be deciding tomorrow - its not fun watching her suffer at all !
I in no way said to return your insect, let alone put it down the toilet?! You have the photographic evidence at the very least to put them to the wall. You brits and your passivity. They sold you a clearly diseased millipede. Their return policy can't be shorter than 48 hours. You deserve a healthy animal and they need to reimburse you for any and all costs incurred.

yukeeiy

Arachnopeon

I in no way said to return your insect, let alone put it down the toilet?! You have the photographic evidence at the very least to put them to the wall. You brits and your passivity. They sold you a clearly diseased millipede. Their return policy can't be shorter than 48 hours. You deserve a healthy animal and they need to reimburse you for any and all costs incurred.
huh? I didnt say i was going to put her down the toilet, you've read it wrong. I said she obviously couldnt toilet as in poo. And theres no need to be short with me, I'm a beginner asking for help. I have no idea what you mean by "put them to the wall". I'll have to return her as I have no idea whats going on or how to fix it, and nor do more experienced people in the hobby. Thanks for your help anyway

sch1z0k1tty

Arachnopeon
huh? I didnt say i was going to put her down the toilet, you've read it wrong. I said she obviously couldnt toilet as in poo. And theres no need to be short with me, I'm a beginner asking for help. I have no idea what you mean by "put them to the wall". I'll have to return her as I have no idea whats going on or how to fix it, and nor do more experienced people in the hobby. Thanks for your help anyway
I think they mean you have enough evidence and obviously passion to go and “tear them a new one”. If you are going to go back maybe make sure they know how upset you are about the way they’ve neglected this poor creature so that it hopefully doesn't happen again :(

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
It looks like it was kept on coconut fiber. Feed high fiber foods. soak it in water have super high humidity. This looks like impaction. Keep trying. If it recovers, it could be your rescue pet.

Polenth

Arachnobaron
This is a US/UK confusion. The US has strict rules on importing millipedes. The UK does not. So you will find more wild caught adults of big species like this in the UK and that's not actually illegal. This has all the usual cautions about wild caught animals, as they're more likely to arrive with issues. You'll need to look online for captive bred animals.

On the millipede, you're going to return her, so there's nothing really you can do and I doubt the pet shop will treat her. If I was in that situation, I'd offer drinking water (supervised, as they're not always smart with water bowls). You can't really feed wet high fibre food to an animal that won't eat, but she might still drink. Also, keep on with regular soaks of the blockage.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
sorry, translating will almost always be bonkers. "Put them to the wall" means hold then responsible. My callout for you guys to hold your nuts high still stands. Don't let them sell you a car with 3 wheels. Don't let them game you out of money you earned. I'm trying my hardest to make it sit in both regions.

yukeeiy

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,

I can't reply to everyone, but thank you all for your help. On the matters of importing millipedes, I try my absolute best for buying CB, and am searching for CB a.gigas but obviously in this hobby its the norm in the UK, which is sad. Hope we follow suit with the laws.

as for the milli, she went downhill very quickly. I tried my best to soak her back end, gently coax the impaction, get her to eat anything (bug blocks/food, soft rotten wood, oak leaves, tomato, cucumber (a very firm fave), mushroom, lettuce, spinach) but nothing. She eventually went very limp at her back end and the store had a 24hour return, so I had to return her. my boyfriend had a go at them and told them to try with her, and they said they would try more soakings (i dont believe this)

I'm not a confrontational person and am very anxious, so please dont get angry at me not screaming at them, I really tried my best here.

Im getting some more CB t.aoutii, and hopefully their little faces will cheer me up

sorry everyone, but thank you for replying

yukeeiy

Arachnopeon
sorry, translating will almost always be bonkers. "Put them to the wall" means hold then responsible. My callout for you guys to hold your nuts high still stands. Don't let them sell you a car with 3 wheels. Don't let them game you out of money you earned. I'm trying my hardest to make it sit in both regions.
Oh, im so sorry, I didnt know you were translating/english second language/or something else. I get what you mean, and my boyfriend tried, but we are both very shy and non-confrontational even for english people. I am trying by best and assure everyone my other 2 millies are thriving wonderfully :)