clipping scorpion stingers

Avic_Litee

Arachnopeon
I suppose that if the tip of the stinger were snipped off it would have no effect on the scorpion and would probably regenerate after a molt or two, no?
Mine did not regenerate his stinger tip. He still would try to sting his prey. He did okay though, even with his little tiny hands.

trivium160

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Where on earth do you live where you would bring scropions to a party?
That sounds so weird....i 've heard of clowns but never scorps.

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Meh. I'd rather there be a few ACOs running around at my expense than using our own already overburdened police resources for animal causes.
If you don't have animal cops and animal welfare laws aren't enforced because the police are too busy, people gripe. If you get a police force up and running specifically for animals, people complain that money is being spent on it. Public opinion is very finicky; everyone wants the problems solved, but no one wants to pay for it.
Humans are scum, the earth would benefit from our exctinction, maybe I'm just tired. Off the topic, sorry.

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
hi Philk y don i try to clip off ur arm and see weather pain anot? and without a arm are u still able to do the things that u use to do nomally?.. just don tink wat u say is correct. scorpion is a living thing too just like humans .
My argument was not that it can function without it so it is fine, and not once did I say people couldn't feel pain...

I said that we shouldn't anthropomorphize invertebrates. They cannot feel pain (as far as anybody knows). That's all I said. I'm still very against the practice.

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My argument was not that it can function without it so it is fine, and not once did I say people couldn't feel pain...

I said that we shouldn't anthropomorphize invertebrates. They cannot feel pain (as far as anybody knows). That's all I said. I'm still very against the practice.
I'd agree that species that rely heavily on pedipalps will probably be just fine with an amputated telson. Still, though, I don't really understand why you insist on assuming inverts can't feel pain until it is proven otherwise. I know of no real scientific data that leans either way, so I'd say it's 50/50. I don't understand the logic behind believing that it's possible that they feel pain, but unlikely. What exactly makes it unlikely?

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I know of no real scientific data that leans either way, so I'd say it's 50/50. I don't understand the logic behind believing that it's possible that they feel pain, but unlikely. What exactly makes it unlikely?
The fact their nervous systems are completely different in layout to ours, with no 'processing plants', such as in higher animals that are used to feel pain. The fact they do not react to pain like other animals (depression, shock etc etc).

Johnny Savage

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Even if the scorpion didn't feel any pain at all it's and even if it's stinger isn't necessary for survival it's still a horrible thing to do. Point is it's a living organism and that guy had no right to just chop off its stinger for his own convinience. :mad:

kotex

Arachnopeon
The fact their nervous systems are completely different in layout to ours, with no 'processing plants', such as in higher animals that are used to feel pain. The fact they do not react to pain like other animals (depression, shock etc etc).
r u a scorpion?

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's science man.
And centuries ago mans scientific understanding was that the earth was flat, the center of the universe, and the heart didn't pump blood, it was instead a heat producing organ.

One should never consider our current scientific knowledge as absolute proof of anything (with the exception of the most basic concepts such as "concrete is hard"). The more information we gain about how our world and the universe works only leads us to realize how much we still don't know.

We have not studied scorpions enouph to gain a perfect understanding of them.

kotex

Arachnopeon
I will dignify that only with this response: I am not a tree, but I still know they photosynthesise.
u will nv know unless u are one of them... science is not always 100% dude..i am just speaking for the right of the scorpions

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not sure that there is significant scientific data suggesting that organisms with different nervous system structures than our own that do not become "depressed" are incapable of feeling physical pain. At best it seems like a 50/50 guess to me, and I think that they're reactions would suggest different, though I'll admit that this is far from conclusive evidence. Well developed nervous system does not necessarily equal vertebrate nervous system. Take some of the Cephalopods, for example. In lab studies it has been shown that the octopus and cuttlefish are fairly intelligent animals, capable of complex social interation and problem solving. They are almost certainly more intelligent than, say, an opossum, which I think you will agree can feel pain.

Last edited:

K3jser

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oki just end this discussion because its going no where, its wrong to cut of the telson of a scorpion, look at it from the anomaty side and not if it hurts or not, you can damege the anus of the scorpion and you might kill it shouldnt that be reason enouch not to do it?

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And centuries ago mans scientific understanding was that the earth was flat, the center of the universe, and the heart didn't pump blood, it was instead a heat producing organ.

One should never consider our current scientific knowledge as absolute proof of anything (with the exception of the most basic concepts such as "concrete is hard"). The more information we gain about how our world and the universe works only leads us to realize how much we still don't know.

We have not studied scorpions enouph to gain a perfect understanding of them.
But there is proof...

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
u will nv know unless u are one of them... science is not always 100% dude..i am just speaking for the right of the scorpions
All I said was they had different nervous system lay outs, and did not exhibit the same signs typical of pain in other animals. You don't have to be a scorpion to know that's true. It's like me saying I'm not a horse but I know they have a very well developed caecum.

butch: to me I still think that if an animal shows no signs of feeling pain (and there are lots of different ways to assess if pain is being felt) that is a fairly good indicator of the fact that they're not feeling it, especially not in the way we do. As for cephalopods, they're quite capable of losing legs and not exhibiting any signs of pain. Intelligence does not always equal the abaility to feel pain. This is all, of course, what I think is the case.. and like has been said, there could be a research breakthrough tomorrow that proves it allll wrong

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All I said was they had different nervous system lay outs, and did not exhibit the same signs typical of pain in other animals. You don't have to be a scorpion to know that's true. It's like me saying I'm not a horse but I know they have a very well developed caecum.

butch: to me I still think that if an animal shows no signs of feeling pain (and there are lots of different ways to assess if pain is being felt) that is a fairly good indicator of the fact that they're not feeling it, especially not in the way we do. As for cephalopods, they're quite capable of losing legs and not exhibiting any signs of pain. Intelligence does not always equal the abaility to feel pain. This is all, of course, what I think is the case.. and like has been said, there could be a research breakthrough tomorrow that proves it allll wrong
True true .

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually there are some threads going on in the tarantula forum right now where some of our more entomologically inclined members have provided some links to readings suggesting that the invertebrate nervous structure doesn't lend itself to feeling pain. To be honest, I'm not educated enough on the subject to understand a lick of it, but...

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Also, their is a big difference between just removing the actually barb of the stinger and what some of you guys seem to think.