Climbing sides of enclosures

Davijones

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, I bought 3 Ts last week (G.pulchra 1.5", G.pulchripes .5", L.difficilis 1.5") and if they're not in their hide, they climb on the sides of the enclosures. It is because there is too much moisture in the substrate ? I use ecoearth substrate.

20170311_174309.jpg 20170311_174302.jpg 20170311_174248.jpg

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
It can be because of substrate that is too moist, and it can also be that they're just not settled in from the move quite yet. Do you have some parts of the substrate that are dry, or is it uniformly moist?

Davijones

Arachnopeon
It can be because of substrate that is too moist, and it can also be that they're just not settled in from the move quite yet. Do you have some parts of the substrate that are dry, or is it uniformly moist?

It's uniform

cold blood

Staff member
I'd leave a dry area for all of them, especially considering you have more than enough room to.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I doubt moisture had anything to do with it; G.pulchripes are fine with a flooded substrate. A few weeks back I had to rehouse several Ts because I ha been keeping their enclosures too wet. My G.pulchripes was quite fine with having standing water at the bottom of its burrow.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
They might just not be settled yet... I don't own G. pulchra so I can't speak for them but I have the other two you mentioned and they do tend to randomly climb (the G. pulchripes does more than the L. difficilis).

As mentioned above, give them a small area area of dry substrate so they have a bit more choice as to where they want to hang out, I'd also add a small bottle cap as a water dish in the opposite end to the dry end (don't worry, slings won't drown in them) and just overflow it when you fill it up to moisten the substrate around it.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I second some of the comments already done. It is still a little too early to expect them to be completely settled.

I think the G.pulchra does not need moisture at that size so I would let half of the container dry out first to see how the T reacts. I have some in similar size and I only give them a water bowl.

You could also leave a dry spot for G.pulchripes although it will likely be good to keep partial moisture for it.

I do not own L.difficilis so I can't speak for this species.

What is your room temperature?

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Just so you know, once they are settled, it is not out of the ordinary for them to climb occasionally. So don't panic if you see them up there now and then.
Like this one.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Do you realize one thing, @Davijones my man?

'Climbing sides of Enclosures' is perfect. Simple. Clean. A razor blade.

'Climbing sides of Enclosures'... now view that outside of the T's "world": pure Impact, pure Energy. Imagine a music album with such a title.

Christ I need to quit to give free advice to others that can lead to an ocean of $ if 'played' properly :-s