Click Beetles

Jerry

Arachnobaron
A while back I found some unknown larva when I was scrounging for rotten would for my millipedes decided to take them and basically moistened the sub every once in a while and otherwise left them alone now I've had two click beetles emerge and the third has if pupating now tryed to keep the first one alive and didn't go so well so these last two will be released were I found them was a cool experience

Kuwagata

Arachnopeon
Thats very interesting. I would love to hear more details, such as the type of wood, and possibly the species.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Well they were found in a cottonwood tree the center was all rotten not sure on the species can try to get a pic of the one I have IMG_20170508_102411754.jpg so if anyone would have an ID I would appreciate it

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
I like the white-and-black speckled click beetles with the eyespots, forgot their name. It would be cool if they were more widespread in the hobby.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Also, I might be able to get an ID if you tell me where you found these, and if you happen to have a pic of the larvae, that would help. :)

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I like the white-and-black speckled click beetles with the eyespots, forgot their name. It would be cool if they were more widespread in the hobby.
Alaus sp. - Alaus oculatus is probably the best known. They're high on my wish-list of beetles I'd like to find!

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Could this be it?
http://bugguide.net/node/view/453024
It doesn't say it goes as far north as Nebraska, but it's possible, since the "end" of its range is Kansas. However, I can't really be sure, because that picture isn't very high quality. I couldn't find much information on the range other than what BugGuide and a seemingly outdated paper say.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Could this be it?
http://bugguide.net/node/view/453024
It doesn't say it goes as far north as Nebraska, but it's possible, since the "end" of its range is Kansas. However, I can't really be sure, because that picture isn't very high quality. I couldn't find much information on the range other than what BugGuide and a seemingly outdated paper say.
Eh, I don't think so, this specimen looks too broad to be that species. There are hundreds of plain black Elaterids in the US, it would most likely take an expert in the family to get it down to genus level, and may take genital dissection to get it down to species. Bugguide.net would be the best place to try and get an ID, however they'd probably ask for a slightly better picture.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Eh, I don't think so, this specimen looks too broad to be that species. There are hundreds of plain black Elaterids in the US, it would most likely take an expert in the family to get it down to genus level, and may take genital dissection to get it down to species. Bugguide.net would be the best place to try and get an ID, however they'd probably ask for a slightly better picture.
Yeah, I was guessing a little bit. The species do look so similar that it's hard to get a good ID from amateurs like me.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Yea that's what I found aswell there are so many and there so similar it's hard to tell

Jerry

Arachnobaron
I have found the larva in rotten logs all the time this is the first time I have tried to raise them so I. Fairly happy with the out come