Clearing the Sale Post After A Tarantula Sales

Trenor

Arachnoprince
The last time I bought several tarantulas off the Sale/Trade/Want section the poster cleared out the sale post and just left a sold tag in it's place. I had already taken a screen shot of the post so it wasn't that big a deal. I would have preferred it had been left up in case I hadn't and needed to go back to look it over. I mean you have TOS items involving the sale etc that someone might need. I'm all for marking a post as SOLD to let people know but why not leave it in place? Does this bother anyone else or is it just me?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The last time I bought several tarantulas off the Sale/Trade/Want section the poster cleared out the sale post and just left a sold tag in it's place. I had already taken a screen shot of the post so it wasn't that big a deal. I would have preferred it had been left up in case I hadn't and needed to go back to look it over. I mean you have TOS items involving the sale etc that someone might need. I'm all for marking a post as SOLD to let people know but why not leave it in place? Does this bother anyone else or is it just me?
Meh, not really. I screenshot if needed like you. However, the people I have bought from have stellar reps and are very easy to get a hold of, ie, no drama.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I think they can only edit for a set period of time, like a day. I see what you're saying though.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Meh, not really. I screenshot if needed like you. However, the people I have bought from have stellar reps and are very easy to get a hold of, ie, no drama.
Right, I didn't have any problems but if my OCD had not been kicking that day I would have no 'proof' with which to make a claim should things have went bad.
I think they can only edit for a set period of time, like a day. I see what you're saying though.
Yeah, in the mentioned case I bought within a hour or so of the T posting.

I know it's not that a big deal but it did bother me a bit. Regardless of intentions, what benefit is there to clearing the post?

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Right, I didn't have any problems but if my OCD had not been kicking that day I would have no 'proof' with which to make a claim should things have went bad.

Yeah, in the mentioned case I bought within a hour or so of the T posting.

I know it's not that a big deal but it did bother me a bit. Regardless of intentions, what benefit is there to clearing the post?
It is less confusing for other potential buyers. They won't see something listed only to message and find it's been purchased already.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Other forums that I am a part of (non bug) mark the thread as sold and close it. Serves as a good point of reference for past sales and pricing.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
It is less confusing for other potential buyers. They won't see something listed only to message and find it's been purchased already.
I can see that but a big SOLD would have worked just as well IMO. I don't know I just find it kinda unnecessary. Perhaps, because I have never sold anything only bought on here. :)

Last edited:

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I can see that but a big SOLD would have worked just as well IMO. I don't know I just find it kinda unnecessary. Perhaps, because I have never sold anything only bought on here. :)
Ohhh I misunderstood. You mean the whole post, info included, was deleted? That is weird and a bit annoying. I thought the animal you got was part of a longer listing and its... line or whatever was marked SOLD.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Ohhh I misunderstood. You mean the whole post, info included, was deleted? That is weird and a bit annoying. I thought the animal you got was part of a longer listing and its... line or whatever was marked SOLD.
Yeah, they cleared the whole post and replaced it with SOLD. It was the only animal in the post. I kinda bugged me. I don't mind them marking a item as sold on a list but they cleared everything.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Yeah, they cleared the whole post and replaced it with SOLD. It was the only animal in the post. I kinda bugged me. I don't mind them marking a item as sold on a list but they cleared everything.
Yeah that's odd. Sorry I didn't understand at first. I'm sure there was no bad intention, but rather just a desire to prevent disappointment or a bunch of messages.

Good night. Clearly I need sleep!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Yeah that's odd. Sorry I didn't understand at first. I'm sure there was no bad intention, but rather just a desire to prevent disappointment or a bunch of messages.

Good night. Clearly I need sleep!
No worries, I can use some sleep myself. :D

Yeah, I don't think there was. I just found it odd and so did my OCD.

cold blood

Staff member
I simple a "sold bump" is a better way to go then deleting the original post .
I was under the impression that they couldn't be deleted except by a mod...perhaps there was an issue with the post and a mod deleted it.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I was under the impression that they couldn't be deleted except by a mod...perhaps there was an issue with the post and a mod deleted it.
I think if it is sold quick enough before the edit time is up you can still edit the post to clear it's contents but not delete the post or thread.

cold blood

Staff member
I think if it is sold quick enough before the edit time is up you can still edit the post to clear it's contents but not delete the post or thread.
Correct, after a certain amount of time (I think its like 8 or 12 hours) the ad is up for good...you must have jumped on that spider with the quickness....In which case I understand deleting, this way he doesn't get messages for a sold animal...although just writing sold in bold lettering should be more than sufficient.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Correct, after a certain amount of time (I think its like 8 or 12 hours) the ad is up for good...you must have jumped on that spider with the quickness....In which case I understand deleting, this way he doesn't get messages for a sold animal...although just writing sold in bold lettering should be more than sufficient.
Yeah, I hopped on it with both feet as the saying goes. It was one I had been wanting and a MF at a good price goes fast.

Thanks all for the input.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I'm like you - I take screen shots of everything. I've purchased stuff online and when I arrived to pick it up - the price had mysteriously increased. When I showed the screen shot on my phone - the guy was forced to give it to me at the correct price. He was peeved though, like as if it was my fault.
I bought a scorpion from a guy who had two ads up - both said the scorp was female. I sexed her last night and she is actually a he. I emailed the guy saying that he needs to confirm sex, even if he bought the scorp as a female, before committing. Or, if you can't confirm, leave it as unsexed. I have screen shots of both ads saying he is a she.
Personally, I think he sold it as female hoping that someone would pay more and never be able to hunt him down about it later. He told me he would meet me on his way to work and didn't want me to come to his house. While that is very often the case and nothing comes of it, it is a good way to rip someone off too.
Some people are out there to rip you off - it seems you have to expect the worst and be happy when you don't encounter it.
There's nothing wrong with being prepared.
My scorpion's new name is Marcus Aurelius.

Last edited: