Clear, Flat, Critter Keeper Lid project

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
I like the size of Critter Keepers but am not a fan of the lids.
They're hard to take off without disturbing the T, provide only a small window to see through clearly, and the high amount of vertical ventilation sucks the moisture out really fast. (at least in winter here with the heater running)

I've modified the lids of display cases a whole bunch so I decided to take a stab at making a new CK lid.
This should be usable for both Terrestial and Arboreals (vertically).

This is a bit of an ugly prototype. Just thought I'd share cause I'm bored.
  • I would like to use a different adhesive, but I used hot glue for now as I know it's safe for inverts, and it's easily removable if I need to make adjustments.
    • For the magnets, which are on the outside of the tank, I am considering superglue or something stronger. Right now the magnets are strong enough to pull the glue off if you're not careful about it. (hence the ridiculous amount that has been applied.)
  • I sanded down the edges of the acrylic sheet and critter keeper where the lid is solidly attached to improve adhesion - but it's kind of ugly.
    • I might bind the edges with something later to make it look nice.
  • This is all done by hand with a Dremel - preferably I'd use a band/circular saw to make straighter edges but I live in an apartment right now and can't reasonably have large power tools.
Ventilation is to come later - just taking a break cause my GF is sleeping.

From a distance, it looks quite nice - but obviously, the detailed stuff is still a bit rough.

20210110_153030.jpg 20210110_153142.jpg 20210110_153038.jpg

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
This is a great idea, I think I will borrow this idea sometime, as I also am not a fan of the lids at all. All around nice creativity!!