Clear Enclosure Recommendations for Juvenile/Adult Avics?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My two juvenile Avicularia avicularia are outgrowing their current enclosures. (One just molted and needs to be rehoused when she hardens up.) They're over 3", so it's time to look into adult enclosures for them.

I don't have any empty Exo Terras (what I have used in the past). Space is fairly limited, and I don't really have room to set up two more Exo Terras (and they really don't need a 12x12x18). However, I would like something that is clear and relatively easy to access for maintenance.

What are you guys using for your Avics?

Last edited:

lllWolvielll

Arachnopeon
Fair enough... well I'm sorry but idk what to do. I hope your case gets solved man, have a good day!

WebBrowser

Arachno-aficionado
I like the Zoo Med glass "bugariums" 8x8x11
Pick them up for around $25, comes with extras too. Mulch-like sub, plastic hanging plant and a log hide. Not that you'd necessarily use any of those extras in your Avic setup, but it's nice to have included.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
What are your size constraints or what you are looking for?? Does it have to be completely clear?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
What are your size constraints or what you are looking for?? Does it have to be completely clear?
I'd prefer high clarity if possible, although Avics like to paint their walls anyway.

Size-wise, I'd like to limit the horizontal dimensions to about 8-10 inches and the height to about 12". (Space is at a premium.)

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I'd prefer high clarity if possible, although Avics like to paint their walls anyway.

Size-wise, I'd like to limit the horizontal dimensions to about 8-10 inches and the height to about 12". (Space is at a premium.)
I'm a little late to this party, but what I used to do with Avicularia species was to use a large Kritter Keeper and turn it on its end so it becomes taller than wide. Fast, simple, requires no modification, saves space, and the plastic door on the plastic mesh lid becomes a nice little door on the front to throw in the feeders. The only downside was that the soil falls out of the bottom since the plastic screen lid is on the front, but I overcame that by taping some plastic bag around the bottom. Another drawback is that if you need to get to the back of it for some reason you have to take the whole front off. It worked for me in housing adult Avicularia avicularia as well as adult Poecilotheria species for many years.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My two juvenile Avicularia avicularia are outgrowing their current enclosures. (One just molted and needs to be rehoused when she hardens up.) They're over 3", so it's time to look into adult enclosures for them.

I don't have any empty Exo Terras (what I have used in the past). Space is fairly limited, and I don't really have room to set up two more Exo Terras (and they really don't need a 12x12x18). However, I would like something that is clear and relatively easy to access for maintenance.

What are you guys using for your Avics?
Acrylic cages

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I ended up ordering a couple of "Contra - Reversible Cages" from Primal Cages based on some of Tom Moran's's recent videos.

I'll post setup pictures when they get here if anyone is curious.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I ended up ordering a couple of "Contra - Reversible Cages" from Primal Cages based on some of Tom Moran's's recent videos.

I'll post setup pictures when they get here if anyone is curious.
These are the "Contra - Reversible Cages" from Primal Cages. I'll definitely be ordering more of these enclosures, as they are crystal clear and well designed.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
These look pretty nice!! You think they are adequate for ventilation?
This model has ventilation on three sides (none on top, because it's designed to be used either vertically or horizontally). Overall, I'd say it's better ventilated than Exo Terra, which I have used for years.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
This model has ventilation on three sides (none on top, because it's designed to be used either vertically or horizontally). Overall, I'd say it's better ventilated than Exo Terra, which I have used for years.
Nice!! 3 is better than only 2! ITs the same size as the Exo terra too it looks like??

LizardStudent

Arachnosquire
I like to go to The Container Store and shop around for nice clear plastic containers to put stuff in that I can drill holes into, they have a million different ones. Usually a lot cheaper than buying the reptile and invert specific cages that are often overpriced for what they are imo

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Nice!! 3 is better than only 2! ITs the same size as the Exo terra too it looks like??
My Exo Terras are the Tall 18x12x12 -- which is oversized for Avicularia. These are 12x8x8, which is comparable to the Exo Terra Nano in size and price.