Clear container

WhitenerJ

Arachnosquire
I am pulling my hair out trying to find a clear container to keep arboreal adult pokies in. The ones Jamie sells and other sites like it are way too expensive for me. I like the 27 quart sterilite containers but they are too opaque. I want to be able to see my T's without having to take the lid off. Anyone know where I can get a clear container for an arboreal for a good deal?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Anyone know where I can get a clear container for an arboreal for a good deal?
In Europe my man :)

Mostly from Germany and Hungary... those old school glass, cheap as hell, arboreal enclosures which they used after for made those high priced "Exo Terra", but without that "Exo" top changing issue. They are clear of course. Those are the best, and cheap, arboreal enclosures I know.

But sadly you live in the U.S and the shipping prices would been high I assume, plus when glass is involved there's always risks.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I use Sterlite 15 & 27 qt for my adult Poecs and other adult tarantulas. Can't beat the price.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Those are the best for arboreals IMO (and please note the German word for Spiders: Spinnen :pompous:)

banner-spinnenterrarium.jpg

Now an enclosure like this, sized 25/25/30 (high) cm would cost 21 Euro. Nothing if you ask me, compared to crazy priced acrylic.

I buy those in fairs here in Italy, mostly from Czech or Eastern Europeans sellers.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
What's your price range? For about $30-$40, you'd be able to buy an aquarium, acrylic, and hinges to just make your own. Turn the aquarium up on it's side, get Lowe's to cut the acrylic for you to size, make a feeding door out of the hinges, and you're golden.

Check this out, it's the same idea. The acrylic is held in place by neodymium magnets. I made it not too long ago.

WhitenerJ

Arachnosquire
I would rather not make one. I would gladly pay up to $50 for a nice sized one.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am pulling my hair out trying to find a clear container to keep arboreal adult pokies in. The ones Jamie sells and other sites like it are way too expensive for me. I like the 27 quart sterilite containers but they are too opaque. I want to be able to see my T's without having to take the lid off. Anyone know where I can get a clear container for an arboreal for a good deal?
Surely your research uncovered this issue?

If you want truly clear, your only choices are glass or acrylic or polycarbonate (LEXAN). There's no cheap options like sterilite.

I own arboreal Ts trust me I have researched this for years.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
But I wonder, why in the US no one use those old glass arboreal enclosures like here in Europe? Glass isn't high priced. Is glass turned into a a sort of "old fashion" thing all of a sudden???

With all the tools and the skilled people you have I'm not able to figure out a valid reason of why those type of simple & cheap glass cages seems that doesn't exists on the US market, if not as a mere alternative for customers :-s

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
But I wonder, why in the US no one use those old glass arboreal enclosures like here in Europe? Glass isn't high priced. Is glass turned into a a sort of "old fashion" thing all of a sudden???

With all the tools and the skilled people you have I'm not able to figure out a valid reason of why those type of simple & cheap glass cages seems that doesn't exists on the US market, if not as a mere alternative for customers :-s
I don't know the reason. There are some people who make glass tanks and sell them to local stores. I can only speculate. I think there aren't that many people who work with glass compared to years ago here. Also, in the USA being such a large nation (3,000 miles wide, not including HI), the shipping would be very expensive, I doubt most people would be willing to pay for cost of shipping as glass is pretty heavy compared to plastic. The crate itself would be heavy. I've had 3 ft glass containers for herps shipped to me.

Another reason, that I think is tied into this is that Europe has been in the vivarium hobby far longer than the USA. Europe is much more advanced than the USA is generally speaking. The only exotic animal hobby that has nice, European style vivariums on a regular basis here in the USA is the dart frog community. The reptile community uses glass fish tanks, then private people, mostly cabinet makers and construction workers offered melamine and other wood based custom containers. Then some years later plastics became the new, hot material to use instead of wood for custom containers when it came to reptiles.

When I see DIY dart frogger's, they all have Aqueon tanks with some DIY front to keep their critters humid etc, similar to what some T owners do.

I honestly don't know myself why glass is not used more.

Perhaps it's even more basic than that, perhaps it's because as a nation we import and produce so much oil that plastics production has increased significantly here in the USA and that's how it became a material for the herp hobby.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't know the reason. There are some people who make glass tanks and sell them to local stores. I can only speculate. I think there aren't that many people who work with glass compared to years ago here. Also, in the USA being such a large nation (3,000 miles wide, not including HI), the shipping would be very expensive, I doubt most people would be willing to pay for cost of shipping as glass is pretty heavy compared to plastic. The crate itself would be heavy. I've had 3 ft glass containers for herps shipped to me.

Another reason, that I think is tied into this is that Europe has been in the vivarium hobby far longer than the USA. Europe is much more advanced than the USA is generally speaking. The only exotic animal hobby that has nice, European style vivariums on a regular basis here in the USA is the dart frog community. The reptile community uses glass fish tanks, then private people, mostly cabinet makers and construction workers offered melamine and other wood based custom containers. Then some years later plastics became the new, hot material to use instead of wood for custom containers when it came to reptiles.

When I see DIY dart frogger's, they all have Aqueon tanks with some DIY front to keep their critters humid etc, similar to what some T owners do.

I honestly don't know myself why glass is not used more.

Perhaps it's even more basic than that, perhaps it's because as a nation we import and produce so much oil that plastics production has increased significantly here in the USA and that's how it became a material for the herp hobby.
You are probably right, it's too bad of course to lose such opportunity, if only for something different than plastic & acrylic. And when you think that with aquariums of all sorts & sizes this issue doesn't exists someone can turn mad and say "Why?" :banghead:

Kymura

Arachnoknight
This makes me think I need to start picking up aquariums and practice drilling acrylic.
On the more serious side, does just front venting that way provide adequate ventilation for the arachnids? Be kind of nice to have crystal clear glass.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer

I don't know if I would try this but if you really want to add vent holes to an aquarium then it is possible . Drill the holes , clean them up and pop in a round vents .

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer

Most people are too lazy and don't want to take the time (or have lack of it) to learn to create (not directed at op, just in general). I've been one of those until recently.

There are exotic pet stores here that make customized glass enclosures for inverts/herps and fish. Some are pretty nice.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Most people are too lazy and don't want to take the time (or have lack of it) to learn to create (not directed at op, just in general). I've been one of those until recently.
Agreed . Acrylic is cheap and fairly easy to work with . With a little practice and a few simple tools it isn't hard to get show quality results for less then the cost of buying one enclosure . I found a ton of videos on YouTube that are all about making acrylic display boxes . There is nothing wrong with saving a few bucks and getting the exact enclosure that you want .

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have been working on getting some quotes recently from people in the Toronto area to make me similar enclosures to the Jamie's versions for my arboreals. Believe me, it is often not cheaper to make your own. I have more than one quote for a finished product that is lower than any quotes I have gotten to get the acrylic cut to my specs alone.
Add in all the other bits and pieces that you need - drills for the holes, drill bits for the holes, hinges and clasps, adhesives, etc., and it really does add up.
Unless you are planning on making them and selling them - which would offset the initial cost of all the peripheral supplies - it is very often more cost effective to pay someone else who already has all of the proper equipment and experience. Add in how much your time is worth and it is a no brainer.
So, it isn't being lazy at all in a lot of cases.

hennibbale

Arachnosquire
In Europe my man :)

Mostly from Germany and Hungary... those old school glass, cheap as hell, arboreal enclosures which they used after for made those high priced "Exo Terra", but without that "Exo" top changing issue. They are clear of course. Those are the best, and cheap, arboreal enclosures I know.

But sadly you live in the U.S and the shipping prices would been high I assume, plus when glass is involved there's always risks.
DOVE LE PRENDO, NE HO BISOGNO
NON TROVAVO NULLA DA NESSUNA PARTE, POTRESTI ESSERE LA MIA SALVEZZA!

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have been working on getting some quotes recently from people in the Toronto area to make me similar enclosures to the Jamie's versions for my arboreals. Believe me, it is often not cheaper to make your own. I have more than one quote for a finished product that is lower than any quotes I have gotten to get the acrylic cut to my specs alone.
Add in all the other bits and pieces that you need - drills for the holes, drill bits for the holes, hinges and clasps, adhesives, etc., and it really does add up.
Unless you are planning on making them and selling them - which would offset the initial cost of all the peripheral supplies - it is very often more cost effective to pay someone else who already has all of the proper equipment and experience. Add in how much your time is worth and it is a no brainer.
So, it isn't being lazy at all in a lot of cases.
True, that is another aspect, fundage.

It may cost more to get started but I imagine it would save more in the long run.