clear answer please.

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
Okay, I have an avid avic sling/spiderling
Everytime I post about her I have people telling me to worry about humidity and others saying she will be fine.
The humidity in her enclosure stays at 40-50% without much work. SHOULD I MAKE IT HIGHER? So far I've had no problems out of her, I'm just tired of the wishy washy answers.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Drop the hygrometer, it will only confuse you (since you mention humidity in %, I assume you have one). Now, with "avics" proper ventilation is more important than humidity. It should never be too damp and stuffy inside the enclosure. For humidity, a water dish that you can overflow a little from time to time should suffice.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
keep the substrate DRY. Stuffy climate will kill your sling. Tons of ventilation, a water dish (bottle cap will do) and about once a week you can drip some droplets of water on its web. or on the sides of the enclosure.

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
Drop the hygrometer, it will only confuse you (since you mention humidity in %, I assume you have one). Now, with "avics" proper ventilation is more important than humidity. It should never be too damp and stuffy inside the enclosure. For humidity, a water dish that you can overflow a little from time to time should suffice.
That's what I've been doing!
keep the substrate DRY. Stuffy climate will kill your sling. Tons of ventilation, a water dish (bottle cap will do) and about once a week you can drip some droplets of water on its web. or on the sides of the enclosure.
She isn't super tiny, so i have a regular water dish. but I recently wet the sub from confusion, It should be fine though and will dry by the end of the day. and I'd LOVE to wet her webbing, but she wont make one :smug:

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
That's what I've been doing!

She isn't super tiny, so i have a regular water dish. but I recently wet the sub from confusion, It should be fine though and will dry by the end of the day. and I'd LOVE to wet her webbing, but she wont make one :smug:

Did you provide any anchor points? All my avic spiderlings web and I have some tiny ones. Would you mind posting a pic of the enclosure?

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
Did you provide any anchor points? All my avic spiderlings web and I have some tiny ones. Would you mind posting a pic of the enclosure?
I've been trying to have good anchor points, but i'm a little lost on that front honestly.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Gotcha! thankyou!!:happy:
I know it's hard to put this new big tank in the closet for the time being, after all the work you've put into it.. But believe me, in a smaller container it will be easier to feed it, and the sling will have less space to cover with it's web. :)

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
I know it's hard to put this new big tank in the closet for the time being, after all the work you've put into it.. But believe me, in a smaller container it will be easier to feed it, and the sling will have less space to cover with it's web. :)
she will probably just go in front of this enclosure until she's big enough for that one. i have no where to put this one. :cat:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
IMG_20170105_130442798.jpg
but for reference do i have good anchor points?
no, unless theres a ton of stuff at the top of the cage i cant see.heres a pic of my A avic set up for reference. Cage is a 8x8x8 exo tera nano. My girls about 4". her web was really nice all around the back and on the lid and stuff, but recently she just tore it apart.

Last edited:

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Periodically overflowing the water dish is fine, additional humidity will only cause problems. As others have said, you will need to rehouse the sling. The enclosure looks great for an adult but, you will get frustrated due the sling having a harder time eating or not drinking. I hope the answer was clear enough for you.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Okay, I have an avid avic sling/spiderling
Everytime I post about her I have people telling me to worry about humidity and others saying she will be fine.
The humidity in her enclosure stays at 40-50% without much work. SHOULD I MAKE IT HIGHER? So far I've had no problems out of her, I'm just tired of the wishy washy answers.
Just out of curiosity.......who on earth on AB told you to worry about specific humidity numbers? Most seasoned posters on here know better.