cleaning versicolors tank

IndianaSlim

Arachnopeon
It's been awhile and I think I need to clean my versicolors tank. I just noticed a dark mass in its web so I'm guessing it molted in there. Should I tear it's web apart completely or just clean around it?

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When I do a entire clean out and substrate change I tear the webs out. For regular maintenence I leave the web as it is. As long as there is nothing in it attracting flies or mites leave it be, after all they work so hard on them and it stresses them out when the hand of disaster sweeps in to destroy thier homes.

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's been awhile and I think I need to clean my versicolors tank. I just noticed a dark mass in its web so I'm guessing it molted in there. Should I tear it's web apart completely or just clean around it?
I wouldn't destroy the webbing! How would you like it if someone demolished your apartment/house just because you left some clothes on the ground? {D

Now if you notice anything nasty festering in there (mites, etc), I would do an entire cleaning for the benefit of the t. Hope that helps and good luck! I'm going through a similar situation myself.

ghost6303

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ive had alot of luck using isopods (pill bugs) to clean my tanks. i just grab some from under a stump behind the barn and throw a dozen or so in each tank. they are small enough most larger spiders wont even notice them for a while. isopods eat lots of decomposing matter, like spider poo, dead crickets, and other things that normaly grows mold. and if the spider gets real hungry they are a nice little snack.

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If the tank needs a thorough cleaning, I would tear the web down. If its just a matter of cleaning remains and poop, then leave it be. With Avics I just wipe the sides with a damp paper towel using a long tweezer.