Cleaning nasty glass tank out? No windex

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I can’t use Windex on the inside of the cage(bad for spider ofc) , the outside hose is frozen outside.
10gal tank won’t fit in the stationary tub .

Plain water isn’t cleaning the muck off ..
Any tips ? I’ll add pics of tank soon it’s bad.

The lid on the tank is plexiglass I don’t want to scratch it up can’t use sponge on that?

Last edited:

kadupul

Arachnosquire
Razor blade scrapers are the greatest thing for cleaning old aquariums.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Any way to keep the muck immersed in water for a while? Once it's soft, it might come right off. That's the bachelor way to clean day-old dishes. Soak 'em in the sink for a while. :)

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
If what is being asked is, is there a chemical or mechanical method to remove the gunk other than elbow grease. Sure! Pressure wash or steam clean the lions share off first. As for chemicals, I'm thinking of an old 50 gallon fish tank that grew algae and yuck then simply left until the water evaporated. Sure again. But the cure is going to create your own little haz mat problem. What to do with the hazardous sodium hydroxide sludge after it's basically cleaned? Ditto for muriatic or sulfuric acid. The cure makes more of a mess than the cause and poses a hazard to you in the process. Same goes for powerful enzyme cleaners.

Probably the best best is fill it with water with laundry detergent and let it soak. Srcub a bit, rinse out and repeat.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
If what is being asked is, is there a chemical or mechanical method to remove the gunk other than elbow grease. Sure! Pressure wash or steam clean the lions share off first. As for chemicals, I'm thinking of an old 50 gallon fish tank that grew algae and yuck then simply left until the water evaporated. Sure again. But the cure is going to create your own little haz mat problem. What to do with the hazardous sodium hydroxide sludge after it's basically cleaned? Ditto for muriatic or sulfuric acid. The cure makes more of a mess than the cause. Same goes for powerful enzyme cleaners.

Probably the best best is fill it with water with laundry detergent and let it soak. Srcub a bit, rinse out and repeat.
So will dawn dish soap not hurt anything I could sook it in that . There’s wood in the cage I can’t remove so I’m worried about using laundry
Any way to keep the muck immersed in water for a while? Once it's soft, it might come right off. That's the bachelor way to clean day-old dishes. Soak 'em in the sink for a while. :)
yeah that’s a Good plan .. soak and use a cleaning brush ?
detergent?

The Snark

Old Timer
So will dawn dish soap not hurt anything I could sook it in that .
Dishwashing liquids are grease cutters. Not especially effective on heavy gunk and grime - serious scrubbing still required. Laundry detergent is surfactants, much much wetter and able to break down the crud into a more soluable form.
Take note how the two are used. Scrub the dishes, but just agitate the water detergent mix In a tub for laundry.

@Ultum4Spiderz Check out plastic blade paint scrapers. Much less chance of crazing or scratching glass. And beware of Scotch Brite or similar scrubbers. Many will scratch glass.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I think I got it pretty clean but not finished now the Tub drain seems clogged because I had to use its hose ..
Not gooood .:(
Still a lot of grime to clean up.
Plus the end of my plexiglass lid the protective coating fell off my screws outside sitting in the cold. So I gotta recover the screws points before ..using it . Gum might work but I don’t have any..

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Razor blade scrapers are the greatest thing for cleaning old aquariums.
Hmm I never used such things before, we’re do you buy them? Any pics of one ?
Maybe try without detergent first. For really stubborn areas I scrub with steel wool, but that will ruin your plexiglass.
I’ll use a soft towel for plexiglas maybe a sponge for glass.
a few pics of progress I had to clean the tub got dirt in it .. ouch 🤕 used a hot shower head to clean most of it .
E40D70CB-1291-4905-A880-C84B81F6646C.jpeg E40D70CB-1291-4905-A880-C84B81F6646C.jpeg 96F1B714-D877-4246-A661-E4D7DB6A8CCD.jpeg 6597A26E-76A7-4B9E-A8C9-1E5345F5CF06.jpeg 162044CA-3178-4D96-821D-E58C7117AA44.jpeg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
interesting ? Cool tool.
Interesting I gotta add some support to the back to protect the glue will a plastic sheet work ? I’ll seee. Glue gun takes a while to heat up.
I reinforced the back of the glass.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
There’s a small crack I fixed this was an aboreal tank but I plan on using it with a terrestrial I reinforced the bottom of tank with plastic and outside with glue gun & gorilla glue so it’s very strong . It should hold up to coco fiber fine I’m not using any top soil. What’s perlite is that safe for Ts I have a bag of it thinking it was vermiculite??? FDA27C26-6ABD-4BAE-9A4F-86D24DAE40A4.jpeg 7936C38F-0C6D-4F0B-A107-9A83DEDC971C.jpeg F3FBF3CB-ABCC-4F1F-B9E3-D7EDF08FAC3A.jpeg 32381CAB-A3B6-4FFE-8F15-7D2C1B7A22B0.jpeg D7CD6A63-33B1-4F45-B533-1C66D8E87C4B.jpeg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Dishwashing liquids are grease cutters. Not especially effective on heavy gunk and grime - serious scrubbing still required. Laundry detergent is surfactants, much much wetter and able to break down the crud into a more soluable form.
Take note how the two are used. Scrub the dishes, but just agitate the water detergent mix In a tub for laundry.

@Ultum4Spiderz Check out plastic blade paint scrapers. Much less chance of crazing or scratching glass. And beware of Scotch Brite or similar scrubbers. Many will scratch glass.
My next tank I’m cleaning out , I gotta use a dry vac to suck the dirt out . I’m badly allergic to urticating hairs . So I gotta wear specific protective gear and then wash it after.
Any tips for cleaning a tank a lp lived in ? It’s the 20 gal long I’ll be repurposing for a bigger T.
Will sweeping suck most the hairs out??

Attachments

The Snark

Old Timer
Will sweeping suck most the hairs out??
NO. Sweeping stands as good a chance to send them airborne as remove them. A vacuum with brush attachment and HEPA filter, meticulously going over ALL surfaces - preferably several times. Taking an extra hour or two doing every surface in a room is recommended. What you don't want, and happens all too often is going from reactive to hypersensitive to anaphylaxis. Don't let epinephrine become your best friend.

Nightmare recollection of a woman in ER, hives from hairline to toe nails.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
NO. Sweeping stands as good a chance to send them airborne as remove them. A vacuum with brush attachment and HEPA filter, meticulously going over ALL surfaces - preferably several times. Taking an extra hour or two doing every surface in a room is recommended. What you don't want, and happens all too often is going from reactive to hypersensitive to anaphylaxis.

Ouch I can’t carry the tank and I remember rob c old video using a dry vacuum to clean tanks out I think or someone . So it’s better to use a small shovel the dirt Out With protected gear on? Or a scoop or some sort . It needs all new dirt I can’t touch the stuff once it’s used and full of urticaria hairs .. if I reuse it hairs could fly everywhere.
20 gal long is like 80 pounds or so..loaded with top soil . I need to get it down to 30 pound or less to carry it.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
NO. Sweeping stands as good a chance to send them airborne as remove them. A vacuum with brush attachment and HEPA filter, meticulously going over ALL surfaces - preferably several times. Taking an extra hour or two doing every surface in a room is recommended. What you don't want, and happens all too often is going from reactive to hypersensitive to anaphylaxis. Don't let epinephrine become your best friend.

The dirt was finished anyways I gotta throw it away so I don’t get in contact with it . Got the spider in a way better smaller 10gal tank.

Attachments

The Snark

Old Timer
So it’s better to use a small shovel the dirt Out With protected gear on? Or a scoop or some sort .
Moisten the dirt to help prevent airborne particulates, even if you have to work with mud. And make sure you have a quality sealed face mask.
@Ultum4Spiderz Ear loop face masks always leak. Bands behind head are better. Use Vaseline to glue the mask to your face if need be. An old FD trick.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Moisten the dirt to help prevent airborne particulates, even if you have to work with mud. And make sure you have a quality sealed face mask.
@Ultum4Spiderz Ear loop face masks always leak. Bands behind head are better. Use Vaseline to glue the mask to your face if need be. An old FD trick.
Yeah n95 mask ok ? Or do I need better. Like go buy a visor mask . I can go buy some stuff if needed .
that’s why I don’t re use my old substrate the damn hairs . It keeps its integrity enough-to be reused .