"Cleaning" leaves for substrate use?

Stugy

Arachnolord
I just wanted to know how I can disinfect (is that the right term?) leaves of pesticides. As it is still cold outside, there are a lot of leaves and I've been thinking of getting my first roaches soon so I want to prepare.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm not sure you can clean pesticide from leaves, at least enough to be safe for your roaches.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
What type roach are you getting? Feeders like dubia and lateralis do well with egg crates layered in the enclosure.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just wanted to know how I can disinfect (is that the right term?) leaves of pesticides. As it is still cold outside, there are a lot of leaves and I've been thinking of getting my first roaches soon so I want to prepare.
If you suspect pesticides, then use another source. It is not worth the risk. I don't know anyone that cleans pesticides out as I don't believe it's possible based on some articles I read.

raggamuffin415

Arachnosquire
If your gonna harvest leaves, try to do so somewhere remote where there's less human contact. Then you can bake them to get rid of any unwanted guests. A few hrs at 300° or so should do it. Might wanna research the type of leaves too, certain sap/resin can be lethal to inverts.

Stugy

Arachnolord
Thanks. The weekend is practically here for me so I think I'll do that tomorrow.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
In Europe you have a good chance of only encountering water soluble pesticides that rinse off or a shake or two in a container with dish washing liquid then rinse. However, down Chula Vista way I wouldn't be surprised if a test on the local vegetation or produce section came back with a Haz Mat report and possible EPA or OSHA inspection.