cleaning enclosures

smithikeeper

Arachnopeon
I was recently told that I should clean my enclosures with a 1:4 ratio of bleach and water then to use a high quality soap then rinse with really hot water. My question is do I really need the bleach solution or should I just do the soap and water like I have been with no ill effects?

Thanks,
Roy

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Im pretty sure 99% of people just use good ol' soap and water with no ill effects. Just wash and rince thouroughly and dry well, with a complete change in substrate. Also wash everything in the cage well such as a flower pot for a hiding place and water dish.

Mark

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by smithikeeper
I was recently told that I should clean my enclosures with a 1:4 ratio of bleach and water then to use a high quality soap then rinse with really hot water. My question is do I really need the bleach solution or should I just do the soap and water like I have been with no ill effects?

Thanks,
Roy
IMO the bleach is unnecessary unless there are complicating factors like a mite or nematode infestation. It doesn't do any harm, assuming you rinse and air the vivarium well afterwards, but I don't bother with it myself for ordinary cleanings.

Joy

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: cleaning enclosures

Originally posted by Joy
IMO the bleach is unnecessary unless there are complicating factors like a mite or nematode infestation. It doesn't do any harm, assuming you rinse and air the vivarium well afterwards, but I don't bother with it myself for ordinary cleanings.

Joy
I agree with Joy, I just use the hottest water that comes out of the tap, except if there is a problem with mites, etc. I never re-use substrate though, it is tossed and fresh substrate is used. I use condiment cups for water dishes, if they get dirty they are thrown away and a new cup is used.
Ed

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I just rinse the containers with soap and water and let them dry, substrate gets pitched in the garbage. I keep an old toothbrush around for scrubbing the cork bark and water dishes.

Hint: usually the cork bark is well webbed, and the webbing is completely embedded with urticating hairs if you have NW species, wear rubber gloves of some sort, you'll be glad you did.

A bleach type solution is really only useful where you have high bacteria counts and that's just not the case with T enclosures.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I use condiment cups for water dishes, if they get dirty they are thrown away and a new cup is used.
Ed
Very good idea Ed. I hate cleaning dirty water dishes. ;)

Ernie

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
THe Couple times I had to clean enclosures I have used soapy water and it hasnt done anything to my animals.

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use 1 in 24 parts bleach

works fine, but the more bleach the more stuff it kills.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is it necessary to 'clean out' enclosures if there are no problems with them, other than perhaps slightly limed glass-sides? Or can you let them be for years and years if nothing seems to go bad, or will things go bad after a certain amount of time ?
Seems such a shame to kill pretty webs for the sake of human tidiness :/

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I'm gonna be honest with you Vys, I don't see the point. If there is no major mite outbreak or a bunch of crickets hatching out, I don't see the need of ever changing substrate. I just do spot maintenance on my enclosure, picking up leftovers, pulling out poop, etc. etc. Most of my T's haven't seen a substrate change since they've been put into their enclosures. I just don't see the point.

Scott

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
I'm with Scott. I don't clean unless there's a reason to clean, and some of my tarantulas have inhabited the same vivaria for years with no complete substrate change (and no problems).

Joy

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I tend to do a substrate change about every 12-18 months. Has more to do with my anal retentiveness than necessity :)

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have yet to change the substrate in an elcosure for anything but mold outbreaks. I have had mite problems to date (touch wood)

Like Scott, I only spot clean where there is stuff to scoop. For this I usually use a tablespoon.

If you really have to clean the sides I suggest WD-40
(((I AM KIDDING)))

Actually just plain hot water almost always does the trick for me... soap and bleach just really havent been necessary in my experience.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Chris
soap and bleach just really havent been necessary in my experience.
The soap seems to make the urticating hairs "slippery" so fewer of them wind up in my hands is a prime reason for me using it. It also breaks up crusty tarantula poop faster.

smithikeeper

Arachnopeon
cork bark

I'm curious what I should do for brand new pieces though. Should I still use the antibacterial soap and water or the 1:4 bleach and water solution?

Thanks again,
Roy