Cleaning Crews for egg laying cockroach colonies?

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep several colonies of oothecae producing cockroaches. I'm looking for a cleaning crew that will help me keep dead roaches, mold, etc. from building up in their containers. I have access to buffalo beetles, but I'm afraid that they will eat the oothecae as well as dead roaches. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I would keep the entire enclosure without substrate and put some damp coco fiber or peat moss in a small 2 oz deli cup or larger and let the females lay their eggs in their. That way the beetles can’t get to them.

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would keep the entire enclosure without substrate and put some damp coco fiber or peat moss in a small 2 oz deli cup or larger and let the females lay their eggs in their. That way the beetles can’t get to them.
I wasn't aware that they like to lay their eggs in moist substrate. I always just assumed they either glued them to their harborage or dropped them where it was convenient. Have you collected oothecae this way before?

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
American, Oriental, and Turkistan roaches.
Those species should be fine. How'd you get the oriental? I've been trying to get a breeder colony but I can't seem to find any for sale. All three would do well in a setup of egg crates and a small container filled with damp coco fiber/peat moss to lay eggs in. I know for a fact that the turkistans will drop their ooths. Come to think of it, I don't know of any species of cockroach that glues their oothecae to a surface, that seems like something mantids do. All roaches that lay an ooth for all I know just drop their ooths.

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All of these species I'm rearing are for a part of my job. We use them for research purposes. As for them glueing oothecae, I've seen all of these species do it, especially the Americans. I find many of their oothecae glued to the egg crate.

I don't suppose you know of a good, long lasting barrier for keeping German roaches contained? I've tried fluon (Insect-a-Slip) and teflon grease either applied directly to the container or on smooth tape. I've also tried them in combination. The teflon grease might slow them down for 30 minutes. The fluon works better, about 2 weeks, but it is difficult to remove for reapplication and it doesn't stand up well to the humidity. At this point, I'm having to knock them down with carbon dioxide to work with them.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Kyle frim roschcrossing hasn’t really been active lately. You could try using a mix of baby powder and rubbing alcohol which dries quickly

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
It works with my ands but since the roaches are heavy I don’t think it’d necessarily be as effective. I would use vaseline ir fluon for now.