Cleaning a burrowing T.'s enclosure. Help!

Reptiloso

Arachnopeon
I have a 4th or 5th instar Puerto Rican Pygmy T. (not sure, she's wild caught, got her when she was barely a hatchling) that has been underground for some time now (she did eat quite well some time before her last molt, which was about a week and a half ago). I want to clean up and "remodel" her enclosure, but i'm concerned that i'll harm her in some way. Would it be ok if i just carefully dug her up with a soft plastic spoon? Need recommendations!

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You could create the new enclosure and then move your tarantula :)

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
unless its outgrown its current enclosure, I wouldnt move it at all. just leave it be.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you know where she is, carefully dig her out or lure her with food into a catch cup.

Reptiloso

Arachnopeon
the thing is, i'm not gonna move her into a new enclosure, i just wanna clean out and refit the one she's in

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What I do is I scoop the substrate out slowly, move the T in a temporary tank and clean the enclosure. Put the new substrate in, and reintroduce the T. It should be happy afterwards. =)

jonnyquong

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For stubborn burrowers, I slowly flood the container with water if I feel I really need to get them out. No digging, and little to no chance of hurting the spider. :D

Reptiloso

Arachnopeon
Here's some pics of the PR pygmy. As i said, its been about 2 weeks now since she molted. Do you think the enclosure is right for her? Should i consider adding a bottlecap for water at this stage?

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No need for a water dish just yet. Just keep a corner of the sub really moist and she'll do just fine.

No need to disturb her until a couple more molts down the road. :)