Clean your tarantula of attached mites

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
So this is not my idea and has been around for a long time but it works well and figured some people might like to know. If you go and buy CO2 cartridges from a pellet gun store you can use that CO2 to put tarantulas to sleep. Really have to be careful for 2 reasons though. One you don't want to give too much and kill it and the other reason is if it wakes up while working on it.

Well anyways after its gone to sleep you can use a small paint brush to knock off mites or vaseline on the end of a queue tip will sometimes stick to the mite pulling them off. Had some come in with mites and Troll is kindly ridding them of the mites for us all :)

This message was brought to you by Ken The bug Guy with special thanks to GBU for reminding me of this all and Troll for doing it! {D

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well

The question is.. How much CO2 is to much?
Thats the hard part I guess if someone knows I would love a chime in ...we just wait till they are asleep then pull the catridge out right away. You have to poke a hole in the catridge to make it start leaking the air out....of course in the soft end that is supposed to have the hole in it.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hope someone chimes in.. I could use this trick on a couple of mine..

Only two of mine currently have the attached mites.. I had to seperate them so it didnt spread through the collection..

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is there any way to identify mites that are hitching a ride versus ones that feed off of the invert?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lorum... Thanks for that video! So.. 2 full canisters of CO2 will put them to sleep for less than 15 minutes.. I can do that..

Dexter

Arachnopeon
This does not hurt them at all? I really would be terrified to do this to them. Wouldn't that completely deprive them of oxygen?

Lorum

Arachnosquire
Lorum... Thanks for that video! So.. 2 full canisters of CO2 will put them to sleep for less than 15 minutes.. I can do that..
You're welcome. You can use only one canister, if the T is in a smaller container.

This does not hurt them at all? I really would be terrified to do this to them. Wouldn't that completely deprive them of oxygen?
I think nobody knows for sure. But the guy on the vid has used this method several times with a MM Theraphosa apophysis, and haven't noticed side effects (in, maybe, one year -I don't remember-).

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
This maybe a given, but let's be a little more clear on what's happening here. This method of "anethesia" is essentially causing the spider to lose conciousness due to a higher level of carbon dioxide in the hemolymph than oxygen and regains conciousness when the gases level out. Poisening tarantulas with carbon dioxide seems extremely risky and dangerous and that risk of permanant damage would increase the more times it's used on an individual. I hope this ametuer means of anethesia doesn't take off in the hobby. There are too many unknowns of the potential side effects of prolonged usage and I fear many will lose their tarantulas due to over gassing.

- Lonnie

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Truthfully

This is something you only do if you have too. I would not go knocking tarantulas out just so you can clean their cage or for fun. Please be careful and if you are going to use this method only do it cause you need too not cause you just want too. Its nothing new as labs used this method for many years but it does still have many unknowns.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
This is something that is being explored over in the Myriapod sub-forum in order to anesthetize centipedes for sexing purposes. Take a gander at the stickies there. Some European members have had excellent results and zero casualties, but I agree- it would be nice to know of long term effects & have a more concrete idea of the amount of CO2 needed per container volume/animal size.